Skip to main content


Enquiries Information

General Enquiries


+852 3917 5712 / 

+852 3917 1951 /

+852 3917 8044


[javascript protected email address]


Room 420, 4/F, Meng Wah Complex

The University of Hong Kong




Applicants who wish to be admitted on the basis of a qualification from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong where the language of teaching and/or examination is not English are required to obtain a score of 583 or above (paper-based test) or 93 or above (internet-based) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Those taking the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) should have a minimum overall band of 6.5 with no sub-test lower than 6.0.  Please refer to the information on the website of admission. In view of the limited available timeslots for IELTS or TOEFL tests, applicants are advised to schedule the tests as early as possible.

The HKU code number for the TOEFL is 9671.  No code number is needed for IELTS.

Yes. For admission, IELTS/TOEFL scores recorded within two years before the submission date of application are considered. Scores that are more than two years old are no longer considered valid.

No, it is not necessary for you to be a teacher to do the programme. Some of the specialisms will also be suitable for people involved in the broader information-related professions, such as librarians, people working as trainers or educators or administrators working in the field of education.

Applicants are eligible to apply for the MEd programme provided that they satisfy the admission requirements stated in the website. That means applicants possessing a Bachelor’s degree from the University or an equivalent qualification from a comparable institution that is not related to education can also apply.   However, some specialisms may have specific requirements or preferences, which will be stated in the web page in “Fields of Studies”.  

Undergraduate final year students can apply for the MEd provided that the degree be conferred on or before August 1 of that admission year. 

You can apply for more than one specialism and study mode.  Just remember that you will have to complete and submit more than one online application, as one application must be submitted for each specialism and study mode. Please also note that a separate application fee is needed for each application submitted. The application and the application fee are non-refundable and non-transferable. If you are offered admission by more than one specialism, you can then choose one to accept offer.

No. The courses under each specialism are designed specifically for that specialism only and no transfer will be feasible among specialisms.  Once you have enrolled in the Generalist Strand or Specialist Strand, the name of the strand, or the title of the selected specialism in the case of a specialist strand, will appear on the transcript.  

The following supporting documents should be uploaded to the application system by the application deadline or within four weeks from the date of creation of your application account, whichever is earlier.

(i) Official transcript of your undergraduate and/or postgraduate studies, if applicable. Current undergraduate students may upload the interim transcript showing the results of courses that you have completed so far. Documents not in English should be accompanied by an officially certified translation into English, normally by the Registry of the awarding institution.

(ii) For qualifications obtained in China: (i) transcript*; (ii) Bachelor’s Degree Certificate* (學士學位證書); and (iii) Online Verification Report of Higher Education Qualification Certificate (教育部學歷證書電子註冊備案表) issued by CHSI (學信網) / CHESICC (全國高等學校學生資訊諮詢與就業指導中心) in both Chinese and English, and set the validity period of the report as 6 months or the longest available. Chinese version and English translation of the above documents certified by your home institution bearing official stamps or declared as true copies before a notary public (公證處).

(iii) English proficiency test report, e.g. IELTS, TOEFL (only for applicants with qualifications from institutions outside Hong Kong of which the language of instruction and/or examination is not English).

(iv) A Curriculum Vitae (CV) with your reasons for applying.

Posting of documents is NOT required at the application stage. Should an applicant be considered for admission, he/she will receive an email notification from the Programme Office to submit the original/certified true copy of documents. Please note that our request to submit documents does not necessarily mean that you will receive an offer of admission.

A certified true copy is a copy of a primary document that has on it an endorsement or certificate that it is a true copy of the primary document. It should bear the seals of the authorised party and be signed by an appropriate official. The name, status or position of the person certifying the copies must be clearly stated in English.

An authorised party includes the transcript and graduation certificate issuing authority/department of your institution (e.g. the Registry), a lawyer, a notary public, a Consulate General etc. However, a certified accountant is not an authorised party. 

In Hong Kong, a copy of document that has been duly declared as a true copy of the original document by the applicant before a Commissioner for Oaths at a District Office in Hong Kong is also acceptable. You may find a declaration sample here. For details of declaration, please refers to the website of the District Office.

As our office receives a high volume of documents every day, we are not be able to individually confirm receipt of documents for students. If you have submitted the documents via courier, you are advised to refer to the delivery status of the courier company for updates. You will be informed if any document is still missing for the application.

Reference letters are generally not required for our programme. The MEd Programme Office will notify you if a reference letter is required for the consideration of admission.  

Applicants who are shortlisted may be invited for interview/written test, approximately a month after the application deadline. Successful applicants will be informed of their admission results after the interview/written test, and will receive an Offer of Admission letter enclosing a Notice of Admission statement shortly after verification of academic qualifications.  Applicants who do not hear from us by late June may assume that their applications is not successful. 

MEd students are required to complete a total of 60 credits.  Students are not allowed to enrol in more than 60 credits.  Please refer to the “Programme Structure” web page.

Classes are generally held at the University of Hong Kong on weekday evenings, and occasionally on Saturdays.

Normally, full-time students can complete the programme over one academic year, or extend to no more than two consecutive years; part-time students can complete the programme over two years, or extend to no more than four consecutive years.