Dr WONG, Gary K.W.
Dr WONG, Gary K.W.
Programme Director, B.Sc. (Information Management)
Associate Editor (2021-2024), IEEE Transactions on Education
IEEE Senior Member
Academic Unit of Human Communication, Development, and Information Sciences
Ph.D., Computer Science (CityU)
Ed.M., Learning Design and Leadership (University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign)
LL.M., Information Technology and Intellectual Property Law (HKU)
M.Phil., Electronic and Computer Engineering (HKUST)
B.Sc., Computer Science, Mathematics (BYU-Hawaii)
(852) 2241 5082
Room 113, Runme Shaw Building
- Brain and Cognition
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Educational Psychology
- Learning Sciences
- Technology-enhanced Learning
General research interests: Constructionism, computational thinking, computer science and engineering education, artificial intelligence education, STEM Education, immersive digital learning environment
- K-12 computational thinking and computer science education
- Artificial intelligence (AI) education
- Integrated STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) education
- Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) in education
- Technology-enhanced active learning
Recruiting MPhil/PhD student: I constantly look for self-motivated candidate who desires to pursue a MPhil/PhD degree under my supervision. If you are interested and have passion on research in my area (1st priority is given to those interested in educational research of "computational thinking", "artificial intelligence" or closely related areas), please contact me and discuss about the graduate study opportunity before submitting the application. (Please read this before contacting me: https://www.elsevier.com/connect/9-things-you-should-consider-before-embarking-on-a-phd)
Best Paper Awards
- Best Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment, and Learning for Engineering (TALE) 2017, "Assessing Primary School Students' Intrinsic Motivation of Computational Thinking"
- Outstanding Journal Article Published in the International Review of ETR&D Award, The Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECT) International Convention 2016, "The behavioral intentions of Hong Kong primary teachers in adopting educational technology", Educational Technology Research and Development (ETR&D)
- Best Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment, and Learning for Engineering (TALE) 2015, "School Perceptions of Coding Education in K-12: A Large Scale Quantitative Study to Inform Innovative Practices"
- Special Merit Award, The Education University of Hong Kong, 2016
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon
- Performance Award 2010/11, Lingnan University
- Performance Award 2009/10, Lingnan University
- Young Alumni Award, Brigham Young University Hawaii, 2011
- Marquis Who's Who in the World, USA, 2010
- University Honor Roll (Dean Lists) Award, Brigham Young University Hawaii, 2004
- Mathematics Department Scholarship Award, Brigham Young University Hawaii, 2004
- ACM Upsilon Pi Epsilon Honor Scholarship Award, Brigham Young University Hawaii, 2004
- Computer Science Department Scholarship Award, Brigham Young University Hawaii, 2003 - 2006
Research Funding (Selected)
- Principal Investigator, Infusing engineering design process into science education in primary schools: Design-based research on students’ constructionist learning approach, Research Grants Council, General Research Fund (GRF), 2019 - 2022, Grant: HKD320,500.00
- Principal Investigator, Computational Thinking Education for Junior Secondary Students Pilot Programme, The Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust Fund, 2019 - 2022, Grant: HKD11,370,000.00
- Principal Investigator, Enhancing language education with artificial reality neo-platform (eLEARN), 2017-2019, Education Bureau (EDB), Quality Education Fund (QEF), Grant: HKD3,444,200.00
- Principal Investigator, The impact of coding education in Hong Kong primary schools: a longitudinal study, Research Grants Council, General Research Fund (GRF), 2017 - 2020, Grant: HKD547,500.00
- Principal Investigator, Flipped Learning Initiative Programme for Primary Education (FLIPPEd), 2015-2016, Education Bureau (EDB), Quality Education Fund (QEF), Grant: HKD375,800.00
SCHOLARLY BOOKS, MONOGRAPHS AND CHAPTERS
- Ozcinar, H., Wong, G. K. W., & Ozturk, H. T. (Eds.). (2017). Teaching Computational Thinking in Primary Education. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Wong, G. K. W., Jiang, S., & Kong, R. (2018). Computational Thinking and Multifaceted Skills: A Qualitative Study in Primary Schools. In Teaching Computational Thinking in Primary Education (pp. 78-101). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Wong, G. K. W. & Yang, M. (2017). Using ICT to generate instant and asynchronous feedback via technology-enabled formative assessment tasks. In S. Kong (Ed.), Emerging Practices in Scholarship of Learning and Teaching in a Digital Era. (pp. 289-309) Springer: Singapore
- Wong, G. K. W. (2016). A new wave of innovation using mobile learning analytics for flipped classroom. In D. Churchill, J. Lu, T. Chiu, & B. Fox (Eds.), Mobile Learning Design: Theories and Applications (189-218). Singapore: Springer.
SELECTED REFEREED ARTICLES (PEER-REVIEWED)
- Wong, G. K. W.., Ma, X., Dillenbourg, P., & Huan, J. (2020). Broadening artificial intelligence education in K-12: where to start?. ACM Inroads, 11(1), 20-29.
- Reichert, F., Zhang, D. J., Law, N. W., Wong, G. K. W., & de la Torre, J. (2020). Exploring the structure of digital literacy competence assessed using authentic software applications. Educational Technology Research and Development, 1-23.
- Saxena, A., Lo, C. K., Hew, K. F., & Wong, G. K. W. (2020). Designing Unplugged and Plugged Activities to Cultivate Computational Thinking: An Exploratory Study in Early Childhood Education. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 29(1), 55-66.
- Wong, G. K. W. & Cheung, H. (2018). Exploring children’s perceptions of developing twenty-first century skills through computational thinking and programming, Interactive Learning Enviroments, https://doi.org/10.1080/10494820.2018.1534245.
- Jiang, S. & Wong, G. K. W. (2017). Assessing Primary School Students’ Intrinsic Motivation of Computational Thinking. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment and Learning in Engineering (TALE) 2017, IEEE, Hong Kong. (Best Paper Award) [acceptance rate: ~16%]
- Wong, G. K. W. (2016). The behavioral intentions of Hong Kong primary teachers in adopting educational technology. Educational Technology Research and Development (ETRD), 64(2), 313-338. [impact factor: 1.609]
- Zhu, K., Wong, G. K. W., Ma, X. & Huen, M. H. (2016). How Different Input and Output Modalities Support Coding as a Problem-Solving Process for Children. ACM SIGCHI Interaction Design and Children (IDC) 2016, Manchester, UK. [acceptance rate: 31%]
- Wong, G. K. W., Zhu, K., Ma, X. & Huen, M. H. (2016). The Development of Internationalized Computational Thinking Curriculum in Hong Kong Primary Education. In Proceedings of The 47th ACM Technical Symposium on Computing Science Education 2016, Memphis, TN, USA. [acceptance rate: 35%]
- Wong, G. K. W. (2015). Understanding technology acceptance in pre-service teachers of primary mathematics in Hong Kong. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology (AJET), 32(6), 713-735. [impact factor: 1.001]
- Wong, G. K. W., Cheung, H. Y., Ching, C. C., & Huen, M. H. (2015). School Perceptions of Coding Education in K-12: A Large Scale Quantitative Study to Inform Innovative Practices. In Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment and Learning in Engineering (TALE), IEEE, Zhuhai, China. (Best Paper Award) [Acceptance Rate: 19.6%]
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Education, 2021 - Current
- Chair, Executive Officer Committee, IEEE Hong Kong Section (Education Chapter), 2014-2019
- Editorial Board Member (2013 - Current) - International Journal of Business and Systems Research (IJBSR)
- Editorial Board Member (2013 - Current) - International Journal of Mobile Learning and Organisation (IJMLO)
- Co-Editor (2017) - "Teaching Computational Thinking in Primary Education", IGI Global, http://www.igi-global.com/publish/call-for-papers/call-details/2017
- Article Editor (2014) - SAGE Open Journal
- Guest Editor (2013) - International Journal of Information and Communication Technology, Special Issue on Information Technology and Intellectual Property Law
- General Chair, 2017 IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment, and Learning for Engineering (TALE 2017)
- Member, International Liaison Committee, ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education
(SIGCSE 2015 - Current)
- Technical Program Co-Chair, 2015 IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment, and Learning
for Engineering (TALE 2015)
- PC Member, 15th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies 2015 (ICALT 2015)
- PC Member, 2015 Global Chinese Conference on Computers in Education (GCCCE 2015)