Dr DONG, Shuyang
Dr DONG, Shuyang
Academic Unit of Human Communication, Development, and Information Sciences
Ph.D.(Utrecht University); M.Ed.(Capital Normal University); B.Sc.(Sun Yat-sen University)
Room 507, Meng Wah Complex
My current research focuses are on:
Early childhood development and education in contemporary Chinese families
Bronfenbrenner’s bioecological theory (i.e., Process-Person-Context-Time model)
Social inequity in early childhood development across countries
Parental cognitions of child development, child education, and parent-child relationships
My previous (and continuing) research interests include:
- Self-control and social adjustment throughout early and middle childhood
- Person×Environment transactions, parenting-by-temperament effects, goodness-of-fit model
- Cross-cultural perspectives of parenting and child development
- Social-emotional development of vulnerable populations (e.g., children with disabilities or disorders)
- Research methods related to longitudinal data, observational data, and network analysis
- Dong S. (2016). Infant physical growth, nutrition, and health. In Wu. M., Wang, Z., & Zhao, J.(Eds), Infant psychology (pp. 135–159). Hangzhou, CN: Zhejiang Education Press. [in Chinese]
† Co-first Author
‡ Corresponding Author
- Dong, S., Dubas, J.S., Dekovic, M., & Wang, Z. (2022). Goodness of fit in the Chinese context of socialization in the first three years. Developmental Psychology, accepted.
- Fan, M., Dong, S., Wang, Q., & Wang, Z. (2022). Maternal mind-mindedness predicts creative potential of Chinese preschool children: Moderation of attachment. Chinese Psychological Science, 45(3), 1–6. [in Chinese]
- Dong, S., Dubas, J.S., & Dekovic, M. (2022). Revisiting goodness of fit in the cultural context: Moving forward from post hoc explanations. Child Development Perspectives, 16(2), 82–89.
- Dong, S., Dubas, J.S., Dekovic, M., Wang, Z., van Aken, M.A.G., & Wu, M. (2022). Committed compliance and maternal parenting behaviors predict internalization of rules and externalizing behaviors in Chinese preschool children. Early Education and Development, 33(1), 58–74.
- Dong, S., Dubas, J.S., Dekovic, M., & Wang, Z. (2021). Chinese version of comprehensive early childhood parenting questionnaire (CECPAQ-CV): Factor structure, reliability, and validity. Current Psychology, DOI: 10.1007/s12144-020-01268-0.
- Dong, S., Dubas, J.S., Dekovic, M., & Wang, Z. (2021). Cool and hot effortful control moderate how parenting predicts child internalization in Chinese families. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 206, 105099.
- Hu, Y., Dong, S.†, Guan, F., Chen, O., Chen, J., & Xu, S. (2021). Emotion understanding correlates with parental emotional expressivity in Chinese youths with hearing loss and typical hearing. Frontiers in Psychology, 12, 662356.
- Liu, S., Dong, S., & Wang, Z. (2021). Maternal history of childhood maltreatment and control strategies: A search for mechanisms. Journal of Marriage and Family, 83(4), 1099–1115.
- Cai, Y., Dong, S., Yuan, S., & Hu, C. (2020). Network analysis and its applications in psychology. Advances in Psychological Science, 28(1), 178–190. [in Chinese]
- Wang, Z. & Dong, S.‡ (2019). Autonomy as core of creativity and compliance: Moderated moderation model of maternal parenting behaviors. Creativity Research Journal, 31(1), 74–82.
- Liu, S., Zhou, N., Dong, S., Wang, Z., & Hao, Y. (2019). Maternal childhood emotional abuse predicts Chinese infant behavior problems: Examining mediating and moderating processes. Child Abuse and Neglect, 88, 307–306.
- Hao, Y., Wang, Z., Dong, S., Liu, S., Wu, M., & Lu, S. (2019). The predictive effects of maternal life event stress in early childhood on 5-year-old child behavioral problems: A chained mediation model. Acta Psychologica Sinica, 51(1), 85–95. [in Chinese]
- Dong, S., Wang, Z., Lu, S., Liang, X., & Xing, X. (2018). Children’s temperament and maternal behavioral control: Origins of heterogeneity in developmental trajectories of committed compliance from infancy to age 3. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 27(8), 2668–2677.
- Song, C., Xing, Y., Dong, S., & Wang, J. (2018). The relation between availability of social support and resilience in migrant children: The mediating role of self-esteem. Psychological Exploration, 38(3), 248–253. [in Chinese]
- Song, C., Dong, S., Xu, X., & Wang, J. (2018). Relationship between social support and loneliness in homosexuals: The mediating role of self-esteem. Chinese Journal of Clinical Psychology, 26(2), 401–404. [in Chinese]
- Zhang, Q., Wang, Z., & Dong, S. (2017). Developmental cascades: Children’s cognitive functioning and social adjustment. Chinese Psychological Science, 40(5), 1142–1147. [in Chinese]
- Dong, S.†, Liang, X., Zhang, Y., & Wang, Z. (2017). Maternal positive parenting behaviors and toddler’s compliance: Prediction from maternal sensitivity in infancy and bidirectional effects of autonomy encouragement in toddlerhood. Acta Psychologica Sinica, 49(4), 460–471. [in Chinese]
- Journal of Child and Family Studies
- Journal of Early Adolescence
- Creativity Research Journal
- European Journal of Personality
- Symposium Parenting-Temperament Transactions in Early Childhood Across Cultures in the 2021 Biennial Meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development (online, 2021)
- 3rd Meeting of Chinese Association for Psychological and Brain Science (Utrecht NL, 2019)
- 4th Meeting of Chinese Association for Psychological and Brain Science (online, 2020)
- Invited symposia on advanced statistical methods at Capital Normal University (Beijing CN, 2018)
- International Conference on Family and Child Development in Changing Societies (Beijing CN, 2018)