Dr LO, Kelvin M. F.
Dr LO, Kelvin M. F.
Director for Technology and Infrastructure Development
Academic Unit of Teacher Education and Learning Leadership
DBA (Newcastle), MA (CityUHK), MSc (PolyU), PGDE (HKU), BBA (HKUST)
(852) 2857 8397
Room 318, Runme Shaw Building
Areas of Expertise
Data Science, Information Systems, and Learning Technology
Courses currently teaching:
- Introduction to Statistics and Quantitative Data Analysis
- Project (Social Data Science)
- Social Data Science Foundations
- Web Development, Users and Management
- Innovative Practices in Education Through Information Technology Adoption
- Project Management
Courses taught in the past:
- Data Science
- Data Analytics for Public Policy
- Decision Analysis
- Foundation of Data Science
- Inferential Statistics
- Statistical Analysis for Policy Decision
- Information Technology
- Database Management Systems
- Networking Fundamentals
- Software Development
- Systems Analysis and Development
- Web Services Fundamentals
- Business Management / e-Learning
- Accounting Information Systems
- Applied Business Research
- Knowledge Management
- Operations Management
- Quality Management and Practices
- Sustainable Development of e-Learning in Schools
- CPCE Outstanding Teaching Performance/Achievement Award, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- Distinguished Educator, Phi Delta Kappa
- Master Teacher of Honor, Kappa Delta Pi
- The Secretary for Home Affairs' Commendation Scheme, The Government of the HKSAR
- Gold Editor, Informing Science Institute
- Bronze Reviewer, Informing Science Institute
- Certificate of Appreciation, Hong Kong St. John Ambulance Association
- The Best Cadet of The Year, Hong Kong St. John Ambulance Brigade
- The St. John Long Service Medal, Hong Kong St. John Ambulance Brigade
Professional Qualifications/Memberships (Education)
- Accredited Practitioner, Association for Educational Assessment – Europe
- Chartered Fellow, Chartered Management Institute
- Chartered Mathematics Teacher, The Chartered Mathematics Teacher Registration Authority
- Chartered Science Teacher, The Science Council
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Educational Assessors
- Fellow, The Society for Education and Training
- Registered Career Development Professional, The Career Development Institute
- Senior Certified Member, Association for Learning Technology
- Senior Fellow, Advance HE (formerly the Higher Education Academy)
- Certified Management & Business Educator, The Chartered Association of Business Schools
Professional Qualifications/Memberships (Mathematics, Statistics and Data Science)
- Accredited Member, Australian Mathematical Society
- Accredited Professional Statistician, American Statistical Association
- Accredited Statistician, The Statistical Society of Australia
- Certified Statistician, Hong Kong Statistical Society
- Chartered Statistician, Royal Statistical Society
- Elected Member, International Statistical Institute
- Fellow, Institute of Mathematics and its Applications, United Kingdom
- SAS Certified Advanced Programmer for SAS 9, SAS Institute Inc.
- SAS Certified Base Programmer for SAS 9, SAS Institute Inc.
- SAS Certified Specialist: Base Programming Using SAS 9.4, SAS Institute Inc.
- SAS Certified Statistical Business Analyst Using SAS 9: Regression and Modeling, SAS Institute Inc.
- Senior Practitioner, The Federation for Informatics Professionals in Health and Social Care
Professional Qualifications/Memberships (Science, Technology and Enginnering)
- Certified Professional, Australian Computer Society
- Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council
- Chartered Fellow, British Computer Society
- Chartered Scientist, The Science Council
- Fellow, Canadian Information Processing Society
- Fellow, Institute of Science & Technology
- Information System Professional, Canadian Information Processing Society
- Information Technology Certified Professional, Canadian Information Processing Society
- Senior Member, Australian Computer Society
- Co-Investigator, Research Directions and Applications of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Smart Tourism in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area (UGC/IIDS24/B02/21), Inter-Institutional Development Scheme, Competitive Research Funding Schemes for the Local Self-financing Degree Sector, 2022-2023, Grant: HKD371,665.
- Co-Investigator, Promoting Children's Pro-environmental Behavior: A Multilevel Analysis (UGC/FDS24/H08/20), Faculty Development Scheme, Competitive Research Funding Schemes for the Local Self-financing Degree Sector, 2022-2024, Grant: HKD488,246.
- Co-Investigator, Establishment of Centre for Ageing and Healthcare Management Research (CAHMR) (UGC/IDS24/18), Institutional Development Scheme, Competitive Research Funding Schemes for the Local Self-financing Degree Sector, 2019-2022, Grant: HKD2,455,974.
- Project Member, Enhancing teachers’ professional competencies in teaching business-related subjects in the digital era (T01/QESS/2018), Quality Enhancement Support Scheme, Self-financing Post-secondary Education Fund, 2019-2021, Grant: HKD1,934,285.
- Lo, M. F., Ng, W. C. J., Ng, C. F. G. & Ng, M. L. P. (2022). The past, present, and future of first aid and health education: a case study in Hong Kong. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing. (ahead-of-print). https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPHM-10-2021-0100.
- Ng, T. K. C., Lo, M. F., Fong, B. Y., & Yee, H. H. (2022). Predictors of the intention to use traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) using extended theory of planned behavior: a cross-sectional study among TCM users in Hong Kong. BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies, 22(1), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12906-022-03598-x.
- Ng, P. M. L. , Wut, T. M. & Lo, M. F. (2022). Enhancing Knowledge Sharing Behaviour in Building Academics’ Career Capital in Higher Education: The Mediating Role of Innovative Climate. Technology, Knowledge and Learning . https://doi.org/10.1007/s10758-022-09633-7.
- Lo, M. F., Tian, F., & Ng, M. L. P. (2021). Top management support and knowledge sharing: the strategic role of affiliation and trust in academic environment. Journal of Knowledge Management, 25(9), 2161-2177. https://doi.org/10.1108/JKM-10-2020-0800.
- Lo, M. F., & Ng, M. L. P. (2021). Teaching and learning with SAS® University Edition: a foundation course in statistics and data science programme. The International Journal for Technology in Mathematics Education, 28(2), 107-113.
- Ng, A., Fong, B., & Lo, M. F. (2021). Dynamic knowledge management in response to pandemic outbreak: An interinstitutional risk-based approach to sustainability. Knowledge Management Research & Practice, 19(4), 536-544. https://doi.org/10.1080/14778238.2021.1919574.
- Ng, T. K. C., Lo, M. F., & Fong, B.Y.F. (2021), Knowledge, attitude, utilisation and satisfaction of traditional Chinese medicine in Hong Kong. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing, 16(1), 123-137. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJPHM-08-2020-0068.
- Ng, M. L. P., Chan, J., Wut, T. M., Lo, M. F., & Sezto, I. (2021). What makes better career opportunities for young graduates? Examining acquired employability skills in higher education institutions. Education + Training, 63(6), 852-871. https://doi.org/10.1108/ET-08-2020-0231.
- Lo, M. F., & Tian, F. (2020). How academic leaders facilitate knowledge sharing: A case of universities in Hong Kong. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 41(6), 777-798. https://doi.org/10.1108/LODJ-11-2019-0481.
- Lo, M. F., & Tian, F. (2020). Enhancing competitive advantage in Hong Kong higher education: Linking knowledge sharing, absorptive capacity and innovation capability. Higher Education Quarterly, 74(4), 426-441. https://doi.org/10.1111/hequ.12244.
- Fong, B. Y. F., Wong, M. C. S., Law, V. T. S., Lo, M. F., Ng, T. K. C., Yee, H. H. L., Leung, T. C. H., & Ho, P. W. T. (2020). Relationships between physical and social behavioural changes and the mental status of homebound residents in Hong Kong during the COVID-19 pandemic. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17, 6653. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17186653.
- Higgins, P., & Lo, M. F. (2017). The strategic and cultural legitimacy of HR professionalization in Hong Kong. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 35, 1139–1160. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10490-017-9547-7.
Wu, J., Lo, M. F.,& Ng A. (2018). Knowledge Management and Sustainable Development. In Leal Filho, W. (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Sustainability in Higher Education. Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-63951-2_175-1.
Lo, M. F., & Ng, M. L. P. (2017). Knowledge Management for Long-Term Healthcare in the Technology-Organization-Environment Context. In Fong, B., Ng, A., & Yuen, P. (Eds.), Sustainable Health and Long-Term Care Solutions for an Aging Population. IGI Global. http://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-2633-9.ch009.
Wong, A., & Lo, M. F. (2017). A Model of Using Pervasive Technologies for Sustainable Healthcare. In Fong, B., Ng, A., & Yuen, P. (Eds.), Sustainable Health and Long-Term Care Solutions for an Aging Population. IGI Global. http://doi.org/10.4018/978-1-5225-2633-9.ch010.
- Garg, L., Kesswani, N., Vella, J.G., Xuereb, P.A., Lo, M. F., Diaz, R., Misra, S., Gupta, V., Randhawa, P. (2022). Information Systems and Management Science: Conference Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Information Systems and Management Science (ISMS) 2020, Springer Nature, Switzerland AG. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-86223-7.
- Invited Speaker on "Data for Social Good: Theory and Practice", 30 May 2022 at the Online EMBA Forum, Business School, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Invited Speaker on "An Introduction to Python for Smart Tourism Research", 27 April 2022 at the IIDS Research Directions and Applications of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Smart Tourism in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area (GBA), The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Invited Speaker on "Introduction to Python for Data Analysis", 11 March 2022 at the Digital Scholarship and Research Data Workshops, The Chinese University of Hong Kong Library.
- Invited Speaker on "Data Analysis Using SAS Enterprise Guide", 20 August 2019 at the Centre for Ageing and Healthcare Management Research, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University.
- Invited Speaker on "Continuous Improvement in Education IT Standards", 29 April 2011 at the Education & Information Technology Conference 2011: New Age of Global IT Adoption in Education, Euroevents.
Professional Community Services
Editorial Board Memberships
- Associate Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Information Technology Education: Research
- Associate Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Information Technology Education: Innovations in Practice
- Associate Editor, Journal of Research in Innovative Teaching & Learning
- Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Business Intelligence Research
- Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Mobile and Blended Learning
- Editorial Board Member, International Electronic Journal of Mathematics Education
- Senior Reviewer, Interdisciplinary Journal of Information, Knowledge, and Management
- Editorial Advisory Board Member, Informatics in Education
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Online and Biomedical Engineering
- Session Chair, International Conference on E-Business and Internet 2022
- Session Chair, International Conference on Machine Intelligence and Signal Processing 2022
- Program Committee Member, International Conference on Software Engineering Research, Management and Applications 2022
- Program Committee Member, ACIS International Summer Virtual Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking and Parallel/Distributed Computing 2022
- Technical Committee Member, International Conference on E-business, Management and Economics 2022
- Technical Committee Member, International Conference on Data Mining, Communications, and Information Technology 2022
- International Program Committee Member, International Conference on Computer and Information Science 2021 and 2022
- Steering Committee, International Conference on Modern Educational Technology 2021and 2022
- Technical Committee Member, International Conference on Cloud and Big Data Computing 2021, 2022 and 2023
- Committee Member, IEEE/ACIS International Fall Virtual Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking and Parallel/Distributed Computing 2021
- Program Committee Member, ACIS International Winter Conference on Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Networking and Parallel/Distributed Computing 2021
- Session Chair, International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Big Data 2021
- Technical Program Committee, International Conference on Advanced Information Science and System 2021
- International Technical Committee, International Conference on Software and Information Engineering 2020 and 2021
- Reviewer, ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education 2020
- Session Chair, International Conference on Education and Artificial Intelligence 2020
- Technical Programme Committee, International Conference for Emerging Technologies in Computing 2020 and 2021
- Technical Program Committee, International Conference on Information and Communication Systems 2020
- Committee Member, IEEE International Conference on Big Data, Cloud Computing, Data Science & Engineering 2019
- Conference Technical Committee, International Conference on Business and Information Management 2019
- PC/Reviewers, IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment and Learning for Engineering 2018, 2020, and 2021
- Annals of Emerging Technologies in Computing
- BMC Complementary Medicine and Therapies
- IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies
- International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications
- International Journal of Business Analytics
- International Journal of Educational Management
- International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning
- Journal of Marketing Analytics
- Leadership & Organization Development Journal
- Technology, Knowledge and Learning
Professional and Community Services
- Member, Experience Review Committee, Canadian Information Processing Society
- Fellowship Assessor, British Computer Society
- Reviewer, PDK Educational Foundation Scholarship Program, Phi Delta Kappa
- Assessor, Association for Learning Technology
- CAP Assessor, The Science Council
- Volunteer, Statistics Without Borders
- Volunteer, Hong Kong St. John Ambulance
University and Faculty Services
- Academic Adviser, Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Social Data Science
- Academic Adviser, Master of Science in Information Technology in Education
- Member, Faculty Teaching and Learning Quality Committee
- Member, Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Social Data Science Committee
- Member, Teaching Academy
- Alpha Iota Delta
- Kappa Delta Pi
- Phi Beta Delta
- Phi Delta Kappa
- Pi Lambda Theta
- Upsilon Pi Epsilon