Programme Overview and Aims
Targeted Taught Postgraduate Programmes Fellowship Scheme 2021/22 (for local students only) NEW
The Targeted Taught Postgraduate Programmes Fellowships Scheme is introduced by the HKSAR Government with the aim to attract meritorious local students to pursue further studies in priority areas contributive for the strategic development of Hong Kong. Administered under the University Grants Committee (UGC), fellowship places have been allocated for MSc(ITE) for 2021/22.
The award of the fellowships will be based on assessment criteria including academic excellence, other relevant performance (e.g. specific academic and professional qualifications attained, language proficiency, work experience, references, etc.) and a proposal submitted by students on how they can contribute to the priority area (i.e. STEM) of Hong Kong after completing the MSc(ITE) programme.
Successful students will each receive an award of HK$120,000. This award shall be used to offset the MSc(ITE) tuition of HK$168,000, with the remaining HK$48,000 to be covered by the student.
For more details on the Fellowships Scheme, please refer to https://www.ugc.edu.hk/eng/ugc/activity/targeted_postgraduate_scheme.html.
The application for the Fellowships Scheme is closed.
The Scholarship for Teachers (Pursuit of Master's Degree Programmes) Updated
MSc(ITE) is a recognized programme under the area Learning, Teaching and Pedagogy for “The Scholarship for Teachers (Pursuit of Master’s Degree Programmes)”
The Education Bureau (EDB) has launched a scheme called the Scholarship for Teachers (Pursuit of Master's Degree Programmes) since 2013. The Scholarship for Teachers aims to recognise achievements of high-performing teachers and to encourage teachers’ pursuit of higher qualifications as well as to enhance their professionalism. It is offered to selected full-time serving teachers who will pursue part-time studies in MSc(ITE) in the 2021/22 school year. For details, please visit EDB website at https://www.edb.gov.hk/en/teacher/qualification-training-development/training/scholarship-for-teacher-master/index.html.
Information Technology in Education is an interdisciplinary field of study which explores theories, learning design principles, emerging technologies, research methodologies, and pedagogical approaches. This programme aims to educate individuals who are interested in career as learning technologists, e-learning specialists, instructional designers and information technology coordinators in schools, higher education and corporate contexts.
Business organisations (such as multimedia publishers, banks, and corporate training centres), universities, and schools are frequently in need of skilled professionals in applications of information technology in educational and training contexts. This programme offers participants theoretical and practical insights in the application of instructional design principles and information technology tools for learning and instruction.
The programme aims to provide
- an investigation into learning technology design, e-leadership, e-learning, and other emerging learning and teaching technology applications
- an opportunity to apply technology in learning and teaching
- an investigation into adult learning principles and strategies
- an exploration of the cultural, administrative, theoretical and practical implications of technology in education
- an introduction to research in technology for education
- an opportunity for those wishing to develop leadership capabilities in the use of technology in education
Who should apply
We aim to enhance human learning and performance in various training or educational settings through the use of instructional design principles, and information technology tools.
This programme is particularly suitable for:
- Instructional designers, digital video producers, publishers, software developers, and multimedia designers who are interested in learning pedagogy
- Professionals involved in staff development and corporate training
- School teachers and other education professionals with strong interest in using information technology for learning and instruction
- School administrators and technology coordinators
- Any other professional with an interest in expanding their education background, practice and knowledge of technology applications for learning and instruction
Mode of study
- can be completed in one academic year of full-time study or two but no more than four consecutive academic years of part-time study.
- requires students to take a total of 60 credits in their studies. Over enrollment is not allowed. Full-time students should take no more than 24 credits in a term, while part-time students should not take more than 12 credits in a term.
- offers courses across three terms in a year
- schedules classes normally on weekdays from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. and on Saturday mornings and afternoons at HKU campus. Some day-time classes will be held on weekdays.*
For 2021-22, the Faculty intends to deliver the programme in a face-to-face mode supplemented by online learning (e-learning), subject to further announcement by the University. Entirely online delivery may be adopted under unforeseen circumstances, and for specialist courses requiring high-level expertise delivered by overseas scholars and professionals.
* Subject to change without further notice
Candidates with a full-time job should apply for the part-time mode.