Dr TAI, Chung Pui
Dr TAI, Chung Pui
B.Ed.(LangEd), B.A., M.Phil. (HKU), Ph.D. (Chinese Academy of Social Sciences)
Joint appointment with School of Chinese, Faculty of Arts
BA&BEd(LangEd)-Chinese Course Coordinator
Social Contexts and Policies of Education
Tel: (852) 3917 4259
Location: Room 627, Meng Wah Complex
Areas of Expertise:
History and sociology of Chinese language education, Ethnic minority languages and manuscripts in Mainland China, Teaching Chinese as a second language.
Chinese language pedagogy
Chinese children's literature (in the School of Chinese, Faculty of Arts)
Teaching Chinese as a second language for non-native speaking students in Hong Kong
History and sociology of Chinese language education
Language, manuscript and intangible cultural heritage of ethnic minorities in Mainland China
Teaching Chinese as a second language for non-native speaking students in Hong Kong
- Principle Investigator, “Cross-boundary Hegemony over Schooling: Republican China-registered Secondary Schools in British Hong Kong, 1928-1949”, Early Career Scheme, Hong Kong Research Grants Council (on-going).
- Principle Investigator, Student Support Programmes (SSP) on Chinese Language for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) Students, Education Bureau tender project (2016-2018).
- Co-investigator, “Using Genre-based Approach to Enhance Chinese Written Composition Performance by Ethnic Minority Students”, General Research Fund, Hong Kong Research Grants Council (2015-2016). (Principal Investigator: Dr. Mark S. K. Shum).
- Project team member, Student Support Programmes (SSP) on Chinese Language for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) Students, Education Bureau tender project (2014-2016). (Principle Investigator: Dr. Mark S. K. Shum).
- Project team member, Student Support Programmes (SSP) on Chinese Language for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) Students, Education Bureau tender project (2012-2014). (Principle Investigator: Dr. Mark S. K. Shum).
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
Tai Chung-pui (accepted). "Decipherment of Tangut fragment with Tibetan phonetic glosses Or. 12380/3910 from the British collection, and on its relationship with fragments from the Russian collection". (Book Chapter). Chengdu: Sichuan Normal University Press.
戴忠沛 (待刊)「英藏附有藏文注音西夏文殘片 Or. 12380/3910 解讀－－兼論與俄藏同類殘片的關係」，（章節文章）。成都：四川師範大學出版社。
- Liao Hanbo, and Tai Chung-pui (2019). "Phonological rules, poetic form and dialogue pattern of the traditional Zhuang antiphonal singing ‘ngyam sley’ in Debao, Guangxi: illustration from ‘Folksong of Debao Song Fair'". Studies of Ethnic Literature 2019.4: 15-36 (Beijing: Institute of Ethnic Literature, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences).
廖漢波、戴忠沛 (2019)「廣西德保縣壯族對歌傳統『吟詩』的音韻格律及歌路舉要——以〈德保歌墟山歌〉為例」，《民族文學研究》2019 年第 4 期，第 15-36 頁。（北京：中國社會科學院少數民族文學研究所）。
- Liao Hanbo, and Tai Chung-pui (2019). “To graft and transplant: the etymology of Zhuang ‘ngyam sley’ and the origin of its poetic form”. National Arts Bimonthly 2019.2: 51-61 (Nanning: Guangxi Academu of Ethnic Culture and Arts, Department of Culture, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region).
廖漢波、戴忠沛 (2019)「移花接木——壯族『吟詩』詞源與格律源流考」，《民族藝術》2019 年第 2 期，第 51-61 頁（南寧：廣西壯族自治區文化廳民族文化藝術研究院）。
Leong Che-kan, Shum Mark Shiu-kee, Tai Chung-pui, Ki Wing-wah, Zhang Dongbo (2019). "Differential contribution of psycholinguistic and cognitive skills to written composition in Chinese as a second language", Reading and Writing 32.2: 439-466.
Lee Kit-fong, Tai Chung-pui, Yung Wan-shan (2018). “Origami and theme-based teaching: a study on the application of origami activities in Chinese lessons for non-Chinese speaking students in Hong Kong", International Journal of Chinese Language Education, 4, 69-93.
李潔芳、戴忠沛、容運珊 (2018)「趣味摺紙與主題教學：探究趣味摺紙活動在非華語學生中文課堂的應用」,《國際中文教育學報》第 4 期，第 69-93 頁。
Tai Chung-pui (2018). “Tibetan Buddhism practice of inner fire meditation as recorded in Tangut fragments with Tibetan phonetic glosses”, Journal of Chinese Writing Systems, 2.3, 163-184.Link: https://www.academia.edu/37520824
Tai Chung-pui, and Yung Wan-shan. (2018). “Strategies for teaching reading and writing in a Chinese as a second language classroom: reading reports and job application letters as examples", Journal of Chinese Language Education, 16.1: 66-77.
戴忠沛、容運珊 (2018)「華文作為第二語言的讀寫教學策略在課堂上的應用──以閱讀報告和求職信教學為例」,《華文學刊》第 16 卷第 1 期，第 66-77 頁。
Shum Mark Shiu-kee, Tai Chung-pui, and Shi Dan (2018) “Using ‘reading to learn, learning to write’ pedagogy to teach discussion genre to non-Chinese speaking students in Hong Kong”, International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 21.2: 237-247.
Tse Shek-kam, and Tai Chung-pui (2016). “Teaching and learning of Han characters in East Asia”, Han Character and Classical Written Language Education, 40: 81-102.
Shum Mark Shiu-kee, Shi Dan, and Tai Chung-pui (2016). “The effectiveness of using ‘reading to learn, learning to write’ pedagogy in teaching Chinese to non-Chinese speaking students in Hong Kong”, International Journal of Language Studies, 10.3: 43-60.
Ki Wing-wah, Tai Chung-pui, Kosar Shanila, Rana Iruna, and Lau Chung-chi (2015) “Is there an invisible wall standing between us? Education from the perspective of South Asian parents in Hong Kong”, in Lam J. W. I. (ed.) Teaching Chinese to Chinese Language Learners: Theories and Practices. Singapore: Singapore Centre for Chinese Language Press, 115-131.
Tai Chung-pui (2014). “Historical origins of the multi-ethnic communities in Hong Kong”, in Fermi Wong and Holing Yip (eds.) The Unleavened Bread: Teaching and Learning of Chinese as a Second Language. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Unison, 48-77.
戴忠沛 (2014)「香港多元族裔的歷史淵源」，載王惠芬、葉皓羚編《無酵餅－－「中文為第二語言」教與學初探》。香港：香港融樂會，第 48-77 頁。
Tai Chung-pui (2014). “The invention and evolution of Siraya script of Taiwan during the 17th to 19th centuries”, World Ethno-National Studies (Beijing: Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences) 2014.6: 93-100.
戴忠沛 (2014)「17 至 19 世紀台灣西拉雅拉丁文字的創製和演變」，《世界民族》（北京：中國社會科學院民族學與人類學研究所）2014 年第 6 期，第 93-100 頁。
Sun Bojun, and Tai Chung-pui (2012). “Features of the Tangut consonant system as reflected in Sanskrit-Tangut transliterations”, in Nathan W. Hill (ed.) Medieval Tibeto-Burman Languages 5. Leiden: Brill, 353-386.
Tai Chung-pui (2010). “An introduction to the Tangut fragments with Tibetan transcription”, in Nie Hongyin and Sun Bojun (eds), Research on Historical Records in the Period of Multiple Scripts. Beijing: Social Sciences Academic Press, 41-51.
戴忠沛 (2010)「藏文注音西夏文殘片綜述」，載聶鴻音、孫伯君編《中國多文字時代的歷史文獻研究》。北京：社會科學文獻出版社，第 41-51 頁。
Tai Chung-pui (2009). “Collation of 5 newly seen Tangut fragments with Tibetan transcription”, Ningxia Social Sciences (Yinchuan: Ningxia Academy of Social Sciences) 2009.6: 95-99.
戴忠沛 (2009c)「五份新見藏文注音西夏文殘片校釋」，《寧夏社會科學》（銀川：寧夏社會科學院）2009 年第 6 期，第 95-99 頁。Link: https://www.academia.edu/7543912
Tai Chung-pui (2009). “Categories and origins of Tangut fragments with Tibetan transcription”, Ethno-National Studies (Beijing: Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences) 2009.6: 58-63.
戴忠沛 (2009)「藏文注音西夏文殘片的分類和來源」，《民族研究》（北京：中國社會科學院民族學與人類學研究所）2009 年第 6 期，第 58-63 頁。
Tai Chung-pui (2009). “Characteristics of mid-19th century Cantonese as reflected in Su Hua Qing Tang”. In Chin C. A., Kwok B.-C., Lee P.-L. P., Tsou K. B. (eds.) Multi-disciplinary Approaches to Cantonese Studies: Papers from the 13th International Conference on the Cantonese and Yue Dialects. Hong Kong: Language Information Sciences Research Centre, City University of Hong Kong. 245-260.
戴忠沛 (2009)「〈俗話傾談〉反映的 19 世紀中粵方言特徵」，載錢志安、郭必之、李寶倫、鄒嘉彥編《粵語跨學科研究：第十三屆國際粵方言研討會論文集》，香港：香港城市大學語言資訊科學研究中心，第 245-260 頁。
Tai Chung-pui (2007). “A supplementary study on Tangut fragments discovered from the north region of Dunhuang Mogao caves ”, Xixia Studies (Yinchuan: Ningxia University) 2:120-124.
戴忠沛 (2007)「莫高窟北區出土西夏文殘片補考」，《西夏學》（銀川：寧夏大學）第 2 期，第 120-124 頁。
Tai Chung-pui (2006). “On the Tangut fragment Zhan Cha Shan E Ye Bao Jing from the French collections”, Ningxia Social Sciences (Yinchuan: Ningxia Academy of Social Sciences) 2006.4: 94-96.
戴忠沛 (2006)「法藏西夏文〈占察善惡業報經〉殘片考」，《寧夏社會科學》（銀川：寧夏社會科學院）2006 年第 4 期，第 94-96 頁。
Tai Chung-pui (2006). “Kam-Dai words in documents on Lingnan area in Song dynasty”. Minority Language of China (Beijing: Institute of Ethnology and Anthropology, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences) 2006.3: 21-25.
戴忠沛 (2006)「宋代嶺南文獻中的侗台語詞」，《民族語文》（北京：中國社會科學院民族學與人類學研究所）2006 年第 3 期，第 21-25 頁。
Tai Chung-pui (2005). “A preliminary study of Sam Cien Saw”, Study of Ethnics in Guangxi (Nanning: Guangxi Academy of Social Sciences) 2005.3: 120-122.
戴忠沛 (2005)「〈三千書〉初探」，《廣西民族研究》（南寧：廣西社會科學院）2005 年第 3 期，第 120-122 頁。
- 瑪麗安．米敦著、戴忠沛譯（2008）「語言是什麼？為多樣且不斷變化的讀者群而記錄」，載戴慶廈、羅仁地、汪峰主編《到田野去──語言學田野調查的方法與實踐》，北京：民族出版社，第59－79頁。(Translated from: M. Mithun 2007. “What is a language? Documentation for diverse and evolving audiences” Language Typology and Universals, 60: 42-55.)
Link from the academia page of Prof. Randy LaPolla: https://www.academia.edu/5218028
- Tai Chung-pui (2008) A Study of Tibetan Phonological Transcription in Tangut Buddhism Fragments. Ph.D. Thesis. Beijing: Graduate School, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences.
- Tai Chung-pui (2005). Literacy Practices and Functions of the Zhuang Character Writing System. M.Phil. Thesis. Hong Kong: The University of Hong Kong.
- Tai Chung-pui and Viacheslav Zaytsev (2018). "Reconstruction and translation of Tangut fragments with Tibetan phonetic glosses under Inv. 8362 of the Russian collection", Invited presentation for "Rencontre de Tangoutologie" supported by LabEx TransferS. Arras: Université d’Artois, 23 November, 2018; Paris: École normale supérieure, 24 November, 2018.
- Tai Chung-pui (2018). "Tangut fragments with Tibetan phonetic glosses: categorization, deciphment and application", Research seminar, School of Chinese, The University of Hong Kong, 26 October, 2018.
- Tai Chung-pui (2017). “On the reconstruction of Tangut medial -w-”, Invited presentation for the workshop “Recent Advances in Tangut Studies” supported by the European Research Council (ERC) project “Asia Beyond Boundaries”. London: SOAS, University of London, 28 February, 2017.
- Tai Chung-pui (2016). “Zhuang character script in Yang Zhuang speaking region: historical comparison and modern issues”, Invited Seminars supported by Japan Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research project “Research on the typology of transformed and adapted Chinese characters 変形漢字と変用漢字の類型研究” (Project Number: 25284076). Osaka: Osaka University, 21 March, 2016; Tokyo: University of Tokyo, 23 March, 2016.
- Tai Chung-pui (2016). “Linguistic issues in the education of ‘non-Chinese speaking’ students in Hong Kong”, Departmental Seminar. Hong Kong: Department of Linguistics and Modern Language Studies, Education University of Hong Kong, 14 April, 2016.
- Tai Chung-pui (2015). “The historical and linguistic background of South and Southeast Asian multi-ethnic communities in Hong Kong”, Seminar for the Centre for Research on Language Policy and Practice, Faculty of Education. Hong Kong: University of Hong Kong, 1 December, 2015.
- Tai Chung-pui (2013). “Application of the Leipzig Glossing Rules in the decipherment of Tangut texts: illustration form the fragments Fr. 10(15) and Fr. 16(11) of the Russian collection inv. 8363”. Invited presentation on the Symposium of Decipherment and Research of Tangut Language. Taipei: Institute of Linguistics, Academia Sinica, 19-20 December, 2013.
- Tai Chung-pui (2013). “Ancient Zhuang characters as seen in the Imperial Sino-Zhuang Glossaries and its related issues in the ethnic languages of Southern China”, Departmental Seminar. Beijing: Department of Ethnic Minorities Language and Literature, Minzu University of China, 8 December, 2013.
- Member, Chinese Literature Subject Committee, Hong Kong Diploma od Secondary Education (HKDSE), Hong Kong Examinations and Asessment Authority (2018-2021).
- External Examiner, Continuing Education Courses leading to Certificate in Applied Learning Chinese (for non-Chinese speaking students) – Chinese in Business Service, Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (2018-2021).
- Course Coordinator (2014-2016) and Deputy Course Coordinator (2016-2018), Master of Education (Teaching Chinese to Non-Chinese Speaking Students), Faculty of Education, University of Hong Kong (2014-2018).
- Member, Archives Sub-committee, St. John's College, HKU (2018-present); Advisor, "Retracing St. John's", St. John's College Archival Project, St. John's College, HKU (2016-2018).
- Advisor, Ricci Hall Archives Conservation and Acquisition Project, Ricci Hall, HKU (2016-present).
- Editorial Assistant, Bulletin of Chinese Linguistics 中國語言學集刊, Li Fang-Kuei Society for Chinese Linguistics, and Centre for Chinese Linguistics, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (2010-2014).