Programme Overview and Aims
MA(TESOL) is a full time programme, extending over one academic year, including a summer semester.
The Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages [MA(TESOL)] programme equips students with a thorough grounding in current research, teaching theory, principles and practices in English language education, applicable in schools, universities and other educational institutions in Asia and elsewhere.
Jointly offered by the Faculty of Education and the Centre for Applied English Studies in the Faculty of Arts, the Programme is designed for recent university graduates/graduating students. It is targeted primarily, but not exclusively, at teachers of English to speakers of other languages. Students will work with a strong team of highly experienced teachers and researchers in the discipline critically exploring and reflecting on established and cutting edge issues in the field.
Who can apply?
- English teachers in schools and other English education professionals with a strong interest or experience in TESOL
- Fresh graduates/graduating students majoring in English language or a relevant field such as linguistics, English literature or English language education
The Major Aims
The MA(TESOL) curriculum aims to develop candidates’
- understanding of key concepts, theories and research related to TESOL;
- knowledge of a wide range of perspectives on the theory, policy and practice of TESOL;
- capacity to analyse, synthesise and evaluate primary and secondary sources of research in TESOL and applied linguistics;
- ability to investigate a specific field of study in depth and carry out an independent research project.