Dr LAI, Chun
Dr LAI, Chun
M. A. (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, USA), Ph.D. (Michigan State University, USA)
Teacher Education and Learning Leadership
Tel: (852) 3917 7087
Location: Room 623, Meng Wah Complex
Areas of Expertise:
Self-directed Language Learning Beyond the Classroom; Technology in Language Education; Second Language Pedagogy; Teacher Education
Teaching Chinese as a second/foreign language; foreign language curriculum design; technology and second/foreign language teaching and learning; educational research methodology
Self-directed language learning beyond classroom; technology and second/foreign language learning; second language pedagogy; language teacher education
- Outstanding Paper of the Year (2010). CALICO Journal, Computer Assisted Language Learning Consortium, U.S.A.
- The Relationship between Learners’ Out-of-Class Autonomous Technology-Enhanced Language Learning and Their Vocabulary Knowledge. Principal Investigator. RGC-funded project (2018-2021) HK$593,321
- Supporting Ethnic Minority Students' Chinese Language Learning through Enhancing Extramural Chinese Social Media Use. Principal Investigator. SCOLAR project (2018-2020) HK$2,211,832
- Understanding the Relationship of Language Teacher Identity with Their Technology Integration for Instruction. Principal Investigator. Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research, HKU (2018-2020)
- A Developmental Approach to Semantic Radical Knowledge for Chinese as Foreign Language (CFL) Learenrs. Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research, HKU (2017-2019)
- Espoused Culture Values and Self-Directed Technology Use for Foreign Language Learning. Principal Investigator, RGC-funded project (2013-2015)
- What is the Essential Knowledge and Skills Learners Need to Engage in Active and Effective Use of Common Information Technologies for Foreign Language Learning? Principal Investigator, RGC-funded project (2010-2013)
- A Developmental Approach to Novice Teachers' Integration of Technology in Language Teaching. Principal Investigator, Small Project Funding, HKU (2011-2013)
- What predicts language learners' self-regulated use of technology for learning? Principal Investigator, Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research, HKU (2011-2012)
- Do Foreign Language Learners Use Technologies Strategically to Meet Their Language Learning Needs? Principal Investigator, Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research, HKU (2009-2010)
Lai, C. (2017). Autonomous Language Learning with Technology beyond the Classroom. Bloomsbury Publishing
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
Self-Directed Language Learning beyond the Classroom
- Lai, C. (2019). Learning Beliefs and Autonomous Language Learning with Technology beyond the Classroom. Language Awareness, 28(4), 291-309.
- Lai, C. (2019). Technology and learner autonomy: An argument in favor of the nexus of formal and informal language learning. Annual Review of Applied Linguistics, 39, 52-58.
- Lai, C. (2019). The influence of extramural access to mainstream culture social media on ethnic minority students’ motivation for language learning. British Journal of Educational Technology, 50(4), 1929-1941.
- Lai, C., & Lyu, B. L. (2019). Hong Kong and informal language learning. In Dressman, M. & Sadler, R. W. (Eds.), Handbook of Informal Language Learning. Wiley Blackwell.
- Lai, C., Hu, X., & Lyu, B. N. (2018). Undertandin the nature of learners' out-of-class language learning experience with technology. Computer Assisted Language Learning, 31(1), 114-143.
- Lyu, B. L. & Lai, C. (2018). The "informal" aspect of blended language learning: An overview of learners' self-initiated language learning with technology beyond the classroom. In Palalas, A. (Ed.), Belended Language Learning: International Perspectives on Innovative Practice. China Central Radio & TV University Press.
- Lai, C. & Zheng, D. P. (2018). Self-directed use of mobile devices for language learning beyond the classroom. ReCALL, 30(3), 299-318.
- Lai, C., Li, X., & Wang, Q. (2017). Students' perceptions of teacher impact on their self-directed language learning with technology beyond the classroom: cases of Hong Kong and U.S. Educational Technology Research and Development, 65, 1105-1133.
- Lai, C., Wang, Q., Li, X., & Hu, X. (2016). The influence of individual espoused cultural values on self-directed use of technology for language learning beyond the classroom. Computers in Human Behavior, 62, 676-688.
- Lai, C., Shum, M. & Tian, Y. (2016). Enhancing learners’ self-directed use of technology for language learning: The effectiveness of an online training platform. Computer Assisted Language Leaching, 29(1), 40-60.
- Lai, C., Yeung, Y. & Hu, J. J. (2016). University student and teacher perceptions of teacher roles in promoting autonomous language learning with technology outside the classroom. Computer Assisted Language Learning, 29(4), 703-723.
- Lai, C. (2015). Modeling Teachers’ Influence on Learners’ Self-Directed Use of Technology for Language Learning Outside the Classroom. Computers & Education, 82, 74-83.
- Lai, C. (2015). Perceiving and traversing in-class and out-of-class learning: Accounts from foreign language learners in Hong Kong. Innovation in Language Learning and Teaching, 9(3), 265-284. doi: 10.1080/17501229.2014.918982
- Lai, C., Zhu, W. M. & Gong, G. (2015). Understanding the quality of out-of-class English learning. TESOL Quarterly, 49(2), 278-308. doi:10.1002/tesq.171
- Lai, C. (2013). A framework of developing self-directed technology use for language learning. Language Learning & Technology, 17 (2), 100-122.
- Lai, C., Wang, Q. & Lei, J. (2012). What factors predict undergraduate students’ use of technology for learning? A case from Hong Kong. Computers & Education, 59, 569-579.
- Lai, C. & Gu, M. Y. (2011). Self-regulated out-of-class language learning with technology. Computer Assisted Language Learning, 24, 4, 317-335
Technology-Enhanced Language Learning
- Lai, C., Wen, Y., Gao, T. & Lin, C. H. (Accepted). The Mechanisms of the Learning Impact of Teacher-Organized Online Schoolwork Sharing among Primary School Students. Journal of Educational Computing Research.
- Hu, X., Gong. Y., Lai, C., & Leung, F. K. S. (2018). The relationship between ICT and student literacy in mathematics, reading and science across 44 countries: A multilevel analysis. Computers & Education
- Lai, C., Lei, C., & Liu, Y. (2016). The nature of collaboration and perceived learning in wiki-based collaborative writing. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 32(3).
- Lai, C., & Morrison, B. (2013). Towards an agenda for learner preparation in technology-enhanced language learning environments. CALICO Journal, 30(2), 154-162.
- Lai, C. & Li, G. F. (2011). Technology and task-based language teaching: A Critical Review. CALICO Journal, 28, 2, 498-521.
- Lai, C., Fei, F. & Roots, R. (2008). The Contingency of Recasts and Noticing. CALICO Journal, 26, 1.
- Lai, C. & Zhao, Y. (2006). Noticing in text-based online chat. Language Learning and Technology, 10, 3, 102-120
- Zhao, Y., Lei, J., Yan, B, Lai, C. & Tan, H.S., (2005). What Makes the Difference: A Practical Analysis of Effectiveness of Distance Education. Teachers College Record, 107, 1836-1884.
- Lai, C. & Lei, J. (2015). The Technology Millenium. In He, M. F., Schultz, B. D.& Schubert, W. H. (Eds.). The Sage Guide to Curriculum in Education (pp. 335-343). Sage Publishing
- Lai, C. (2015). Diagnostic Feedback in Formal Educational Settings. In M. Spector & M. H. Wang (Eds.). SAGE Encyclopedia of Educational Technology.
- Lai, C. & Lei, J. (2013). Digital Divide in China. In Q, Zhang (Ed). Education in China: An Encyclopedic Handbook of Educational History, Models and Initiatives. Berkshire publishing.
- Lai, C., Ni, R. H. & Zhao, Y. (2013). Digital games and language learning. In M. Thomas, H. Reinders & M. Warschauer (Eds.). Contemporary Computer-Assisted Language Learning. Continuum Contemporary Linguistics Series (pp. 183-200). London & New York: Continuum.
- Zhao, Y., Zhang, G. M. & Lai, C. (2010). Curriculum, digital resources and delivery. In P. D., Pearson, & A. Luke (Eds.) International Encyclopedia of Education, 3rd Ed (pp. 390-396) Elsevier.
- Zhao, Y. & Lai, C. (2009). MMORPGs and Foreign Language Education. In R. Ferdig (Ed.). Handbook of Research on Effective Electronic Gaming in Education (pp. 402-421). Information Science reference: Hershey, P.A.
- Lai, C., Zhao, Y. & Li, N. (2008). Designing a Distance Foreign Language Learning Environment. In S. Goertler & P. Winke (Eds.). CALICO Monograph on Distance Education, 2008
- Zhao, Y. & Lai, C. (2008). Technology and second language learning: Promises and problems. In L. L. Parker (Ed.). Technology-mediated learning environments for young English learners: Connections in and out of school. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Lai, C. & Zhao, Y. (2005). Introduction to part two: the importance of input and the potential o technology for enhancing input. In Zhao, Y. (ed). Research in Technology and Second Language Education: Developments and Directions. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
- Lai, C. (2005). Introduction to part three: The role of communicative practices and talking with and through the computer. In Zhao, Y. (ed). Research in Technology and Second Language Education: Developments and Directions. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
- Lai, C. (2005). Introduction to part four: The role of feedback and technology in SLA. In Zhao, Y. (ed). Research in Technology and Second Language Education: Developments and Directions. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
- Lai, C. & Zhao, Y. (2005). Introduction to part five: The essence of language education and technology integration in language education. In Zhao, Y. (ed). Research in Technology and Second Language Education: Developments and Directions. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
Second Language Teaching and Learning
- Gu, M. Y. & Lai, C. (2019). From Chungking Mansions to Tertiary Institution: Acculturation and language practices of an immigrant mother and her daughter. Linguistics and Education, 52, 52-60.
- Lai, C., Qi, X. D., Lu, C. & Lyu B. N. (2018). The Effectiveness of Guided Inductive Instruction and Deductive Instruction on Semantic Radical Development in Chinese Character Processing. Language Teaching Research.
- Gao, F., Lai, C. & Halse, C. (2018). Belonging beyond the deficit label: The experiences of 'non-Chinese speaking' minority students in Hong Kong. Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development. https://doi.org/10.1080/01434632.2018.1497042
- Gao, F., & Lai, C. (2018). Biculturalism and segragated schooling in Hong Kong. Journal of Multilingual and Multicutlural Development, 39(4), 301-312.
- Qi. X. D. & Lai, C. (2017). The effects of deductive instruction and inductive instruction on learners’ development of pragmatic competence in the teaching of Chinese as a second language. System, 70, 26-37.
- Lai, C. & Lin, X. L. (2015). Strategy training in a task-based language classroom. Language Learning Journal, 43(1), 20-40. DOI: 10.1080/09571736.2012.681794
- Gao, T., Porter, T., Lai, C. (2015). Blogging reduces writing anxiety of Chinese as Second language students in primary school Chinese classroom. IB Journal of Teaching Practice, 3(1).
- Lai, C., Gao, F. & Wang, Q. (2015). Bicultural orientation and Chinese language learning among South Asian ethnic minority students in Hong Kong. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism, 18(2), 203-224. DOI: 10.1080/13670050.2014.887054
- Lai, C. (2015). Task-based language teaching in the Asian context: Where are we now and where are we going? In M. Thomas & H. Reinders (Eds.). Contemporary Task-Based Language Teaching in Asia (pp. 12-29). London: Bloomsbury.
- Lai, C. (2015). Integrating IB Philosophy and pedagogy into Chinese language teaching: What could educational technology bring into the dialogue? In Hill, I. & Shum, M. (Eds.) Infusing IB Philosophy and Pedagogy into Chinese Language Teaching (pp. 155-173). UK: John Catt publishing.
- Lai, C., Zhao, Y. & Wang, J. W. (2011). Task-based language teaching in online ab initio Chinese classrooms. Modern Language Journal, 95, s1, 81-103.
Language Teacher Development
Lai, C. Li. Z., & Gong, Y. (2019). Boundary brokering for cross-cultural professional learning in international school contexts. British Educational Research Journal, 45(6), 1105-1123.
Gu, M. Y. & Lai, C. (2019). An ethical analysis of how ESL teachers construct their professional identities through the use ofinformation technology in teaching. British Educational Research Journal, 45(5), 918-937.
Gong, Y., Hu, X. & Lai, C. (2018). CSL teachers' cognition in teaching intercultural communicative competence. System. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.system.2018.09.009
Gong, Y., & Lai, C. (2018). Technology integration into the language classroom: Developmental trajectory of begining teachers. Frontiers of Education in China, 13(1), 1-27.
Lai, C., Li, Z. & Gong. Y. (2016). Teacher agency and professional learning in cross-cultural teaching contexts: Accounts of Chinese teachers from international schools in Hong Kong. Teaching and Teacher Education, 54, 12-21
Lai, C., Gu, M. Y. & Hu, J. J. (2015). Understanding legitimate teacher authority in a cross-cultural teaching context: Pre-service Chinese language teachers doing teaching practicum in International schools in Hong Kong. Journal of Education for Teaching: International Research and Pedagogy, 41(4), 417-434
Lai, C., Shum, M. & Zhang, B. N. (2014). International mindedness in an Asian context: the case of the International Baccalaureate in Hong Kong. Educational Research, 56, 1, 77-96.
Gu, M. Y. & Lai, C. (2012). Motivation and Commitment: Pre-service teachers from Hong Kong and mainland China at a training institute in Hong Kong. Teacher Education Quarterly.
Shum, M., Zhang, B. N. & Lai, C. (2015). When IB Learner Profile meets Eastern Confucian tradition: From the perspective of Chinese Language teachers. In Hill, I. & Shum, M. (Eds.) Infusing IB philosophy and pedagogy into Chinese language teaching (pp.20-38). UK: John Catt Publishing.
Shum, M., Zhang, B. N., Lai, C., Loh, K. Y. & Lam, T. F. (2015). The professional growth of Chinese language student-teachers in teaching practicum in the IB Certificate of Teaching and Learning Programme. In Hill, I. & Shum, M. (Eds.) Infusing IB philosophy and pedagogy into Chinese language teaching (pp.39-60). UK: John Catt Publishing.
Special Editions in Refereed Journals
- Lai, C. & Morrison, B. (Eds.) (2013). Learner preparation in Technology-Enhanced Language Learning Environments. CALICO Journal. Special Edition.
- Thomas, M. & Lai, C. (Eds.) (2013). Task-Based Language Teaching and Technology: Challenges and Opportunities. International Journal of Computer-Assisted Language Learning & Teaching. Special Edition.
- (2012-present) Member of Editorial Board, CALICO Journal
- (2015-present) Member of Editorial Board, Computer Assisted Language Learning
- (2009-present) Reviewer for the journals 'Language Learning & Technology', 'CALICO Journal', 'Computer Assisted Language Learning', 'TESOL Quarterly' and 'Computers & Education'