Go to main content Go to main menu

Postgraduate Diploma in Education (Teaching Chinese as a Second Language) (self-funded)


1. Am I eligible to apply for the PGDE (TCSL) if my Bachelor’s degree is not in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign/Second Language, Chinese Language, Chinese Literature or Psychology?

Yes. Applicants who hold a Bachelor’s degree in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign/Second Language, Chinese Language, Chinese Literature or Psychology may be given a higher priority for admissions.


2. Am I eligible to apply if I am in the final year of undergraduate studies?

Applicants who are in their final year of undergraduate studies should provide us with a photocopy of their available results after submission of the online application. Successful candidates will be given a conditional offer and required to submit an official transcript soon after the result of the final degree examinations are known, and in any case by August 1, 2018 at the latest.


3. What documents should I submit to support my application?

Please refer to “Supporting Documents” for details. The supporting documents should be submitted by post, within 5 days after the online application to: The Faculty of Education, The University of Hong Kong. Underpaid mail will be rejected. The Faculty is not responsible for any documents lost in the post.


4. Are photocopies of certificates and transcripts acceptable to the University?

Please submit officially certified copies of certificates and complete official transcripts of your undergraduate and postgraduate studies. Documents not in English should be accompanied by an officially certified translation into English, normally by the Registry of the awarding institution. At the application stage, a photocopy of the required documents is acceptable. Successful applicants will be requested to submit the original or officially certified documents before a firm offer is given.  


5. What does “officially certified or certified true copy” mean?

A photocopy of the original document that has been duly declared as a true copy before a notary public (e.g. the District Offices in Hong Kong) (Please click here for details on making declarations of your documents at the District Offices) or certified by the appropriate official of your home institution (e.g. the Registry).


6. Can I check whether my supporting documents have been received by the Faculty?

Due to the high number of applications we receive, we are unable to check the arrival of a particular document for an individual applicant.  However, you will be informed if any additional documents are required for your application.


7. When will the admission result be announced?

· Successful applicants will be notified of their admission results by email and will receive an official Offer of Admission enclosing a Notice of Admission statement by post.

· Applicants who do not hear from the Faculty of Education by June 30, 2018 may assume their application has been unsuccessful. No individual notifications will be sent.


8. How can I obtain a student visa?

We welcome overseas applicants, and successful applicants will need to arrange their own student visas.  The Centre of Development and Resources for Students (CEDARS) acts as the local sponsor for international students, and the China Affairs Office (CAO) sponsors students from Mainland China. Both offices assist students in obtaining visas.


9. What are the differences between a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) and Master of Education (MEd) degree?

The MEd is a subject knowledge based programme, while the PGDE is a teacher training programme emphasizing methods and practices of teaching of the subject knowledge that you may have acquired in your tertiary education. Applicants are therefore expected to have completed a substantial portion of their undergraduate studies in the relevant major subject.


10. What should I do if I have not completed any current postgraduate studies? What are the procedures for applying for concurrent registration?

· University Regulation G6 prohibits concurrent registration by a student for another post-secondary qualification either at this University or at another institution, unless approval of the Senate has been obtained in advance. A breach of this regulation may result in discontinuation of studies at this University.

· Admitted students may be required to provide proof of withdrawal or deferral of  another programme of study after acceptance of an Offer of Admission to the PGDE (TCSL) programme, preferably by late June (i.e. before registration as a PGDE (TCSL) student) or approval for concurrent registration.


11. When do I need to register as a HKU student after successful admission?

Admitted students will be contacted by email in July for details of online registration and course selection in late July/ early Aug.


12. What are the class times and teaching venues for PGDE courses?

The programme runs throughout the academic year from September to June. Classes are normally held during daytime from Monday to Friday. All classes will be conducted on the  HKU campus. School Experience, Experiential Learning and Professional Practicum will be conducted in related organizations or schools.


13. Can I apply to be a registered teacher in Hong Kong after finishing this one-year programme?

· A person who holds teacher qualification (e.g. Postgraduate Diploma in Education) and is a Hong Kong permanent resident may apply for registration as a teacher via the Teacher Registration Team of Education Bureau.

· A person who holds teacher qualification (e.g. Postgraduate Diploma in Education) and is NOT a Hong Kong permanent resident may also apply for registration as a teacher via the Teacher Registration Team of Education Bureau with any one of the following proof issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department: (a) valid employment visa; (b) landing slip bearing the conditions and limit of stay in Hong Kong; or (c) HKSAR Document of Identity for Visa Purposes.

· For full details, please refer to the Education Bureau website.


14. What is the medium of instruction of this programme?

All the courses will be conducted in English and Chinese.


15. Can I apply for “Postgraduate Housing” during my study in HKU?

Yes, full-time postgraduate students are eligible for applying for postgraduate housing during their study in HKU. Please refer to CEDARS website for details of postgraduate housing.

However, there is no guarantee of successful application due to limited availability of postgraduate housing. Unsuccessful applicants may consider alternative accommodation such as University-rented accommodation, private accommodation, or hostels in Hong Kong. Please refer to section VII "Alternative accommodation" at http://web.cedars.hku.hk/pg_housing/files/docs/general-info.pdf

HKU HomeHKU PortalFISFaculty PortalContact UsPrivacy Policy