A candidate shall satisfy both the University Admission Requirements and the Programme Specific Requirements as listed below:
2. hold a Bachelor’s degree of this University or a qualification of equivalent standard from this University or another comparable institution accepted for the purpose; preferably with a major in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign/Second Language, Chinese Language, Chinese Literature, Psychology or another relevant major;
3. a candidate who is seeking admission on the basis of a qualification from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong of which the language of teaching and/or examination is not English, shall satisfy the University English language requirement applicable to higher degrees as prescribed under General Regulation G2(b).
a) a score of 550 or above (paper-based test) or 80 or above (internet-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) #; or
b) a minimum overall band of 6 with no sub-test lower than 5.5 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) #; or
c) grade C or above in either the Overseas General Certificate of Education, the International General Certificate of Secondary Education, or the Cambridge Test of Proficiency in English Language.
4. satisfy the examiners in a qualifying examination, if required.
Applications for exemption from the above requirements shall be considered on a case by case basis.
# For admission, only TOEFL / IELTS scores recorded in the two years before the date of application are considered.
Notes for non-local students
Non-local students are defined as persons entering Hong Kong for the purpose of education with a student visa or entry permit issued by the Director of Immigration. For details, please visit the HKSAR Immigration Department website.
Non-local students are required to obtain a student visa to study in the HKSAR with a local sponsor. Mainland students should request the HKU China Affairs Office (CAO) to be their visa sponsor. For non-Mainland students, they should nominate HKU CEDARS as their local sponsor. It is the responsibility of non-local students to make appropriate visa arrangement before they come to Hong Kong.
Online application for 2017 intake opens from 12 noon, December 22, 2016.
Application deadline: 12 noon, February 20, 2017**
** The closing date for application is extended to 12 noon, March 31, 2017.
Your application with a fee of HK$300, which is non-refundable and non-transferable, should be submitted online at http://www.aal.hku.hk/tpg. Early submission of an application is highly encouraged.
Submission of Supporting Documents
Please DO NOT upload your supporting documents to the online application system. Required documents should be submitted BY POST within 5 days after the online application to the following address. Please refer to “Supporting Documents” and follow the instructions.
Faculty of Education, The University of Hong Kong, Room 420, 4/F., Meng Wah Complex, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong (Attention to PGDE [TCSL]).
Important notes to applicants:
· Certificates or transcripts which are not in English should be accompanied by a formally certified translation in English (i.e. certificates or transcripts should be translated into English by the Registry of the issuing institution).
· Applications will be reviewed based on the information and documents submitted therefore applicants are reminded to provide accurate information. Failure to submit supporting documents by the application deadline may cause delay in processing. Documents submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
· Please note that supporting documents submitted will not be returned and will be destroyed at the end of the admission exercise for unsuccessful applicants.
University Regulation G6 prohibits concurrent registration by a student for another post-secondary qualification either at this University or at another institution, unless approval of the Senate has been obtained in advance. A breach of this regulation may result in discontinuation of studies at this University. Students may be required to withdraw from or defer the other programme of study after acceptance of an Offer of Admission to the PGDE (TCSL) programme.
Applicants who are shortlisted may be invited to attend interviews or tests and will be informed by email (at least one day before the interview). Applicants are advised to visit this website for the latest information, and to check their email for confirmed arrangements.
Successful applicants will be informed of their PGDE (TCSL) admission results by email, and will receive an official Offer of Admission letter, enclosing a Notice of Admission statement, by post.
Applicants are required to complete and return the Notice of Admission statement and pay the deposit to secure their place on the PGDE (TCSL) programme. The offer will automatically be withdrawn if the Notice of Admission statement and the deposit are not received by the deadline as stipulated in the Offer of Admission letter.
Applicants who do not hear from the Faculty of Education by June 30, 2017 may assume their application has been unsuccessful. No individual notifications will be sent to unsuccessful applicants.