Go to main content Go to main menu

Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Education in Language Education (English)


1. What are the University entrance requirements and your Faculty entrance requirement?

The University entrance requirements and our Faculty entrance requirement can be viewed from the HKU website "Undergraduate Admissions for JUPAS Students - University Entrance Requirements". 


2. Can I apply for direct entry to Year 2 or 3?

There is no direct entry to Year 2 or 3 for the BA&BED(LangEd)-English programme.


3. I am a current student of a bachelor’s degree programme at another university.  Can I apply for a transfer?

Candidates studying bachelor's degree programmes in Hong Kong or at overseas (except the Mainland China) may apply through the Non-JUPAS / International Admissions Scheme for a transfer and indicate in the application their preference for credit transfer and / or direct entry.  Request for credit transfer will be considered by the Faculty after you have been admitted to the University.  Bachelor’s degree students studying programmes funded by the University Grants Committee (UGC) in local tertiary institutions may wish to note that inter-institutional transfer is generally discouraged unless there are exceptional circumstances and such transfer has been specially approved by the university on the basis of over-enrolment.

Local / non-local candidates attending bachelor's degree programmes in Mainland universities should apply through the scheme "Admission of Undergraduate Students from the Mainland" coordinated by the University’s China Affairs Office.


4. I am a JUPAS applicant.  Do I need to put the Programme in Band A choice?

Normally only Band A applicants will be considered favourably in admission.  Applicants should put our programme in Band A to increase chances of admission.


5. How many places are available?

31 places.


6. Is there any quota for non-JUPAS applicants?  How many students were admitted through the non-JUPAS exercise?

The number of places is not pre-determined, it will depend on the quality of JUPAS and non-JUPAS applicants.


7. Do you interview students for admission?

Selected JUPAS and non-JUPAS applicants who meet University Entrance Requirements will be invited for interviews.  JUPAS applicants will be invited for interviews after the announcement of the JUPAS results.  Being invited to an interview is not an indicator of the chance of admission.  We will notify candidates the arrangement for interview by e-mail or phone, if necessary. 


8. How will the interview be conducted?  Will interviewers ask questions I can prepare for?

The interview provides an opportunity to meet you and find out about your personal qualities and interest in the programme. You will have the chance to meet lecturers and learn more about the programme. 

Applicants will be asked a wide range of questions. It is important to be yourself, so preparation of short speeches is discouraged. 


9. Will the BA&BED(LangEd)-Eng accept combined HKDSE certificates?

Combined HKDSE certificates are allowed for best results in two or more sittings, with no penalty.  


10. Will graduates of the BA&BED(LangEd)-English be exempted from the Government’s Language Proficiency Requirement (English Language)?

Yes, BA&BED(LangEd)-English graduates are fully exempted from the Government’s Language Proficiency Requirement (English Language).


11. What are the admission scores of applicants admitted in previous years?

The admission scores can be viewed at HKU website "Undergraduate Admissions for JUPAS Students - Admissions Information from Previous Years".  


12. What is the application deadline?

Please refer to the following websites for important dates for admission:

Undergraduate Admissions for JUPAS Students - Important Dates

Non-JUPAS - Important Dates and Deadlines


13. What are the composition (tuition) fees and will there be any financial assistance?

Please find the details from the Academic Support and Examinations Section.


14. What are the career prospects of the BA&BEd(LangEd)-Eng programme?

Please refer to the "career prospects" for information.


HKU HomeHKU PortalFISFaculty PortalContact UsPrivacy Policy