Dr CHEN, Gaowei
Dr CHEN, Gaowei
BEng (Xi'an Jiaotong), MPhil (Peking U), PhD (CUHK)
Division of Learning, Development and Diversity
Tel: (852) 3917 7610
Location: Room 513, Meng Wah Complex
Areas of Expertise:
Computer supported collaborative learning; Classroom dialogue; Technology-enhanced teacher education; STEM education; Learning analytics; Educational assessment; Career development
Research methods; Educational statistics and measurement; Educational psychology in the classroom
Computer supported collaborative learning; Classroom dialogue; Technology-enhanced teacher education; STEM education; Learning analytics; Educational assessment; Guidance and counselling; Career development
- Analytics-supported collaborative learning: Impact on students of different cognitive abilities and from different socioeconomic backgrounds. HKD 77,570. HKU Seed Funding, #201611159070 (2017-2018). [PI]
- The development of students’ interactive and constructive engagement in the mathematics classroom. HKD 29,700. Faculty Research Fund, Faculty of Education, HKU (2017). [PI]
- Technology-supported teacher learning about effective classroom talk: Impact on students’ participation and achievement in mathematics. HKD 679,000. RGC GRF/ECS, #27606915. (2016-2018) [PI]
- Facilitating knowledge exchange and coaching: An online Research Methods consultation platform. HKD 246,651. Dean’s Innovation Fund, Faculty of Education, HKU, #6010059. (2015-2017) [PI]
- Supporting teacher learning of classroom talk: An analytics-supported reflection approach. HKD 118,804. HKU Seed Funding, #201409159007. (2015-2016) [PI]
- Integrating the flipped classroom paradigm into issue-based enquiry learning and teaching: Design-based research on teachers’ in-class and out-of-class facilitation strategies. HKD 563,992. PI: Morris Jong. RGC General Research Fund (GRF). (2018-2020). [Co-I]
- Enhancing language education with artificial reality neo-platform (eLEARN). HKD 3,444,200. PI: Gary Wong. Quality Education Fund (QEF). (2017-2019). [Co-I]
- Introducing virtual reality techniques into learning and teaching of physical geography in Hong Kong secondary schools. HKD 292,560. PI: Morris Siu-yung Jong. EDB. (2016-2017). [Co-I]
- Unraveling the role of community service in adolescent identity formation. HKD 242,000. PI: Huixuan Xu. RGC General Research Fund (GRF), #18603515. (2015-2017). [Co-I]
- Emotional labor in teaching and its relationship to teacher efficacy and psychological well-being. HKD 433,494. PI: Hongbiao Yin. RGC General Research Fund (GRF), #14413314. (2014-2017). [Co-I]
- Empowering teachers through VideoReview. USD 2,295,981. PI: Susan Doubler. National Science Foundation (NSF), Discovery Research K-12 Award #1415898, (2014-2018). [Advisory Board Member]
- Chen, G., & Chiu, M. M. (in press). Discussion processes in online forums. In M. Khosrow-Pour (ed.), Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Datu, J. A. D., Yuen, M., & Chen, G. (in press). Development and validation of the triarchic model of grit scale: Evidence from Filipino undergraduate students. Personality and Individual Differences.
- Zhang, J., Chen, G., & Yuen, M. (In Press). Teacher support for career development: An integrative review and research agenda. Career Development International.
- Wang, Z., & Chen, G. (in press). Discourse performance in L2 task repetition. In M. Bygate (ed.), Learning language through task repetition. John Benjamins Publishers, Amsterdam.
- Chiu, M. M., & Chen, G. (in press). Chinese teaching and learning of mathematics. To appear in C. P. Chou & J. Spangler (eds.), Chinese education models in a global age: Transforming practice into theory (Chinese version). Singapore: Springer.
Datu, J.A.D., Yuen, M., & Chen, G. (in press). The triarchic model of grit is linked to academic success and well-being among Filipino high school students. School Psychology Quarterly.
Hui, Y. C., Yuen, M., & Chen, G. (in press). Adaptability, Self-Esteem, and Social Support among Hong Kong University Students. Career Development Quarterly.
Chen, G., Zhang, J., & Shang, J. J. (in press). Promoting vocational education from the perspective of learning sciences. Modern Educational Technology. (in Chinese)
- Lo, C. K., Hew, K. F. T., & Chen, G. (2017). Toward a set of design principles for mathematics flipped classroom: A synthesis of research in mathematics education. Educational Research Review, 22, 50-73.
- Ni, Y., Ho, G., Cai, J., Cheung, A., Chen, G., & Ng, O. L. (2017). Research protocol: Teacher interventions aimed at engaging students in dialogic mathematics classroom discourse. International Journal of Educational Research, 86, 23-35.
Kong, X. T., Chen, G., Huang, G. Q., & Luo, H. (2017). Ubiquitous auction learning system with TELD (Teaching by Examples and Learning by Doing) approach: A quasi-experimental study. Computers & Education, 111, 144-157.
Zhoc, K. C., & Chen, G. (2016). Reliability and validity evidence for the Self-Directed Learning Scale (SDLS). Learning and Individual Differences, 49, 245-250.
- Datu, J. A. D., Yuen, M., & Chen, G. (2016). Exploring determination for long-term goals in a collectivist context: A qualitative study. Current Psychology, 1-9.
- Datu, J. A. D., Yuen, M., & Chen, G. (2016). Grit and determination: A review of literature with implications for theory and research. Journal of Psychologists and Counsellors in Schools, 1-9.
- Chen, G., Clarke, S. N., & Resnick, L. B. (2015). Classroom discourse analyzer (CDA): A discourse analytic tool for teachers. Technology, Instruction, Cognition and Learning, 10(2), 85-105.
- Shang, J. J., Jong, M. S. Y., & Chen, G. (2015). Learning sciences: Promoting In-depth Reform of Education. China Educational Technology, 6-13. (in Chinese)
- Zhang, J., Yuen, M., & Chen, G. (2015). Career-related parental support for vocational school students in China. International Journal for the Advancement of Counselling, 37(4), 346-354.
- Chen, G., & Chiu, M. M. (2014). Learning processes during online discussions. In M. Khosrow-Pour (ed.), Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology (pp. 2544-2554). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Chiu, M. M., & Chen, G. (2014). Collectivism. In L. Ganong, M. Coleman, & G. J. Golson (Eds.), The social history of the American family (pp. 254-256). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Chiu, M. M., Molenaar, I., Chen, G., Wise, A., & Fyjita, N. (2013). Micro-analysis of collaborative processes that facilitate productive online discussions: Statistical discourse analyses in three studies. In E. Barbera & P. Reimann (Eds.), Assessment and Evaluation of Time Factors in Online Teaching and Learning (pp. 232-263). IGI Global.
- Chiu, M. M. & Chen, G. (2013). Statistical discourse analysis: Testing hypotheses with large datasets of electronic discourse. In H. L. Lim & F. Sudweeks (Eds.), Innovative Methods and Technologies for Electronic Discourse Analysis (pp. 285-303). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Clarke, S. N., Chen, G., Stainton, C., Katz, S., Greeno, J. G., & Resnick, L. B. et al. (2013). The impact of CSCL beyond the online environment. Proceedings of Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL 2013). Madison, WI, USA.
- Chen, G., Chiu, M. M., & Wang, Z. (2012). Predicting social cues during online mathematics discussions: Effects of evaluations and knowledge content. Computers in Human Behavior, 28(4), 1497-1509.
- Chen, G., Chiu, M. M., & Wang, Z. (2012). Social metacognition and the creation of correct, new ideas: A statistical discourse analysis. Computers in Human Behavior, 28(3), 868-880.
- Chen, G., Chiu, M. M., & Wang, Z. (2011). Social cues in asynchronous discussions. In H. Spada, G. Stahl, N. Miyake, & N. Law (Eds.), Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (pp. 776-780). Hong Kong: International Society of the Learning Sciences.
- Chen, G., Chiu, M. M., & Wang, Z. (2010). Group micro-creativity in online discussions. In K. Gomez, L. Lyons, & J. Radinsky (Eds.), Proceedings of the 9thInternational Conference of the Learning Sciences, volume 1 (pp. 357-364). Chicago, IL: International Society of the Learning Sciences.
- Chen, G., & Chiu, M. M. (2008). Online discussion processes: Effects of earlier messages' evaluations, knowledge content, social cues and personal information on later messages. Computers & Education, 50(3), 678-692.
- Chen, G., & Chiu, M. M. (2008). Computer mediated discussions. In P. A. Kirschner, F. Prins, V. Jonker, & G. Kanselaar (Eds.), Proceedings of the 8th International Conference of the Learning Sciences (Vol. 1, pp. 128-135). Utrecht, The Netherlands: ISLS.
- Chen, G., & Chiu, M. M. (2007). Effects of previous messages’ evaluations, knowledge content, social cues and personal information on the current message during online discussion. In C. A. Chinn, G. Erkens, & S. Puntambekar (Eds.), Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (pp. 135-137). New Brunswick, NJ, USA.
- Chen, G. (2005). Online discussion processes. In M. Grandbastien (Ed.), Proceedings of 12th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Education (pp. 27-32). Amsterdam, The Netherlands: University of Amsterdam.
- Chen, G. (2004). Online discussion in an independent academic BBS forum: Two case studies. Educational Research Journal, 19(2), 281-305.
- Service to the faculty/university/community
o Quantitative Research Methods consultant, 2014-present
o Acting director, EdD programme, Aug-Dec, 2015
o Faculty Research Ethics Committee, 2015-present
o Faculty IT Committee, 2016-present
- Service to professional societies/government bodies
o Technical program co-chair, IEEE International Conference on Teaching, Assessment, and Learning for Engineering (TALE), December 2017
o Organizing committee member, International Symposium- Reimagining Teacher Education, Hong Kong, March 2018
o Chair, Doctoral Student Forum, the 22nd Global Chinese Conference on Computers in Education (GCCCE), May 2018
o Guest editor. Special issue on Innovative Engineering Education for Smarter World, International Journal of Mobile Learning and Organisation, 2018
o Programme committee member, Track of Technology-Enhanced Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Education, 18th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT), July 2018
o Programme committee member, Track of Technology-Enhanced Science, Technology, Engineering and Math Education, 17th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT), July 2017
o Chair, Division of Learning Analysis, Assessment, and Artificial Intelligence in Education, the 21st Global Chinese Conference on Computers in Education (GCCCE), June 2017
o Co-chair, Division of Learning Analysis and Assessment, the 20th Global Chinese Conference on Computers in Education (GCCCE), May 2016
o Co-organizer, Learning Analytics Summer Institute (LASI), Hong Kong, July 2014
o Reviewer for the Journal of the Learning Sciences, International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning, Computers & Education, Computers in Human Behavior, Journal of Educational Psychology, Dialogic Pedagogy Journal, Internet and Higher Education, Journal of Computers in Education, IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, Journal of Online Learning and Teaching, Journal of Educational Technology & Society
- Teaching (2014-present)
o MEDD6444: Effective talk in the classroom
o MEDD6201: The sciences of learning (co-teaching)
o EDUC2004: Classroom research: An introduction
o EDUR8041: Planning for theory, methods and impact of ‘learning-based research’ in schools and classrooms (co-teaching)
o EDUR8042: Theories of learning and design of learning environment (co-teaching)
o MEDD6014: Methods of research and enquiry
o MEDD7121: Analysis of quantitative research in education
o EEDD6701: Research methods I
o EEDD6702: Research methods II (co-teaching)
o EDUR6020: Quantitative research methods I
o EDUR6021: Quantitative research methods II
o GRSC6008: Basic research skills & methods: Transferable skills