Dr TAI, Chung Pui
Dr TAI, Chung Pui
B.Ed.(LangEd), B.A., M.Phil. (HKU), Ph.D. (Chinese Academy of Social Sciences)
BABEd (Chinese) Course Coordinator
Division of Chinese Language and Literature
Tel: (852) 3917 4259
Location: Room 627, Meng Wah Complex
Areas of Expertise:
Teaching Chinese as a Second Language; Ethnic Minorities in Hong Kong; Zhuang Studies; Tangut Studies
Teaching Chinese as a Second Language; Second Language Acquisition; Cross-cultural Communication and Learning; Classical Chinese.
Teaching Written Chinese and Spoken Cantonese to Non-Chinese Speaking Students in Hong Kong; History and Identity of Ethnic Minority in Hong Kong; Literacy and Writing System of Ethnic Minorities in Mainland China.
- Co-investigator, "Using Genre-based Approach to Enhance Chinese Written Composition Preformance by Ethnic Minority Students", General Research Fund (GRF), Hong Kong Research Grants Council (2015-2016). (Principal Investigator: Dr. Mark S. K. Shum).
- Project team member, Student Support Programmes (SSP) on Chinese Language for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) Students, EDB tender project (2014-2016). (Project Leader: Dr. Mark S. K. Shum).
- Project team memeber, Student Support Programmes (SSP) on Chinese Language for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) Students, EDB tender project (2012-2014). (Project Leader: Dr. Mark S. K. Shum).
Journal Articles and Book Chapters
Tse S. K. and Tai C. P. (2016b). "The teaching and learning of Han characters in East Asia", Han Character and Classical Written Language Education 40: 81-102. (in Chinese)
Shum M. S. K., Tai C. P., and Shi D. (in print). "Using ‘Reading to Learn’ (R2L) pedagogy to teach discussion genre to non-Chinese-speaking students in Hong Kong", International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. (SSCI)
Shum M. S. K., Shi D., and Tai C. P. (2016a). "The effectiveness of using 'reading to learn, learning to write' pedagogy in teaching Chinese to non-Chinese speaking students in Hong Kong", International Journal of Language Studies 10.3: 43-60.
Ki W. W., Tai C. P., S. Kosar, I. Rana, and Lau C. C. (2015) "Is there an invisible wall standing between us? Education from the perspective of South Asian parents in Hong Kong". In Lam J. W. I. (ed.) Teaching Chinese to Chinese Language Learners: Theories and Practices (面向中文學習者的中文教學). Singapore: Singapore Centre for Chinese Language Press, 115-131.
Tai C. P. (2014b) "The invention and evolution of Siraya script of Taiwan during the 17th to 19th centuries". Would Ethno-National Studies 2014.6: 93-100 (in Chinese) (CCJ)
戴忠沛 (2014b)「17 至 19 世紀台灣西拉雅拉丁文字的創製和演變」，《世界民族》2014 年第 6 期，第 93-100 頁。
Tai C. P. (2014a) "Historical origins of the multi-ethnic communities in Hong Kong". In Fermi Wong and Holing Yip (eds.) The Unleavened Bread: Teaching and Learning of Chinese as a Second Language. Hong Kong: Hong Kong Unison, 48-77. (in Chinese)
戴忠沛(2014a)「香港多元族裔的歷史淵源」，載王惠芬、葉皓羚編《無酵餅－－「中文為第二語言」教與學初探》。香港：香港融樂會，第 48-77 頁。
Sun B.-J. and Tai C. P. (2012) "Features of the Tangut consonant system as reflected in Sanskrit-Tangut transliterations". In Nathan Hill (ed.) Medieval Tibeto-Burman Languages IV. Leiden and Boston: Brill. 353-386.
Tai C. P. (2010) "An introduction to the Tangut fragments with Tibetan transcription". In Nie H. Y. and Sun B. J. (eds), Research on Historical Records in the Period of Multiple Scripts. Beijing: Social Sciences Academic Press. 41-51. (in Chinese)
戴忠沛 (2010)「藏文注音西夏文殘片綜述」，載聶鴻音、孫伯君編《中國多文字時代的歷史文獻研究》。北京：社會科學文獻出版社，第 41-51 頁。
Tai C. P. (2009c) "Collation of 5 newly seen Tangut fragments with Tibetan transcription". Ningxia Social Sciences 2009.6: 95-99. (in Chinese) (CCJ)
戴忠沛 (2009c)「五份新見藏文注音西夏文殘片校釋」，《寧夏社會科學》2009 年第 6 期，第 95-99 頁。
Tai C. P. (2009b) "Characteristics of mid-19th century Cantonese as reflected in Su Hua Qing Tang". In Chin C. A., Kwok B.-C., Lee P.-L. P., Tsou K. B. (eds.) Multi-disciplinary Approaches to Cantonese Studies: Papers from the 13th International Conference on the Cantonese and Yue Dialects. Hong Kong: Language Information Sciences Research Centre, City University of Hong Kong. 245-260. (in Chinese)
戴忠沛 (2009b)「〈俗話傾談〉反映的 19 世紀中粵方言特徵」，載錢志安、郭必之、李寶倫、鄒嘉彥編《粵語跨學科研究：第十三屆國際粵方言研討會論文集》，香港：香港城市大學語言資訊科學研究中心，第 245-260 頁。
Tai C. P. (2009a) "Categories and origins of Tangut fragments with Tibetan transcription". Ethno-National Studies 2009.6: 58-63. (in Chinese) (CCJ)
戴忠沛 (2009a)「藏文注音西夏文殘片的分類和來源」，《民族研究》2009 年第 6 期，第 58-63 頁。
Tai C. P. (2007) "A supplementary study on Tangut fragments discovered from the north region of Dunhuang Mogao caves". Xixia Studies 2:120-124.
戴忠沛 (2007)「莫高窟北區出土西夏文殘片補考」，《西夏學》第 2 期，第 120-124 頁。
Tai C. P. (2006b) "On the Tangut fragment Zhan Cha Shan E Ye Bao Jing from the French collections". Ningxia Social Sciences 2006.4: 94-96. (in Chinese) (CCJ)
戴忠沛 (2006b)「法藏西夏文〈占察善惡業報經〉殘片考」，《寧夏社會科學》2006 年第 4 期，第 94-96 頁。
Tai C. P. (2006a) "Kam-Dai words in documents on Lingnan area in Song dynasty", Minority Languages of China 2006.3: 21-25. (in Chinese) (CCJ)
戴忠沛 (2006a)「宋代嶺南文獻中的侗台語詞」，《民族語文》2006 年第 3 期，第 21-25 頁。
Tai C. P. (2005) "A preliminary study of Sam Cien Saw", Study of Ethnics in Guangxi 2005.3: 120-122. (in Chinese) (CCJ)
戴忠沛 (2005)「〈三千書〉初探」，《廣西民族研究》2005 年第 3 期，第 120-122 頁。
* SSCI: Journals included in the Social Sciences Citation Index
CCJ: Chinese Core Journals 中文核心期刊
Invited Seminars and Conference Presentations
- Tai C. P. (to be presented 2017). "On the reconstruction of Tangut medial -w-", Invited talk for the workshop "Recent Advances in Tangut Studies" under the ERC project "Asia Beyond Boundaries". London: SOAS, University of London, 28 February, 2017.
- Tai C. P. (2016b) "Linguistic issues in the education of 'non-Chinese speaking" students in Hong Kong", Invited Departmental Seminar. Hong Kong: Department of Linguistics and Modern Language Studies, The Education University of Hong Kong, 14 April, 2016.
- Tai C. P. (2016a). “Zhuang character script in Yang Zhuang speaking region: historical comparison and modern issues”, Invited Seminars supported by Japan Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research project “Research on the typology of transformed and adapted Chinese characters 変形漢字と変用漢字の類型研究” (Project Number: 25284076). Osaka: Osaka University, 21 March, 2016; Tokyo: The University of Tokyo, 23 March, 2016.
- Tai C. P. (2013). “Ancient Zhuang characters as seen in the Imperial Sino-Zhuang Glossaries and its related issues in the ethnic languages of Southern China”, Invited Departmental Seminar. Beijing: Department of Ethnic Minorities Language and Literature, Minzu University of China, 8 December, 2013.
- Tai C. P. (2008) A Study of Tibetan Phonological Transcription in Tangut Buddhism Fragments. Ph.D. Thesis. Beijing: Graduate School, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences. (in Chinese)
- Tai C. P. (2005). Literacy Practices and Functions of the Zhuang Character Writing System. M.Phil. Thesis. Hong Kong: The University of Hong Kong.
- Mithun, M. (2007) “What is a language? Documentation for diverse and evolving audiences” Language Typology and Universals 60: 42-55. Chinese translation by Tai C. P. : "語言是什麼？為多樣且不斷變化的讀者群而記錄". In Dai Q. X., R. J. LaPolla, Wang, F. eds. (2008) To the Field—The Method and Experience of Linguistic Fieldwork 到田野去──語言學田野調查的方法與實踐. Beijing: Ethnic Publishing House, pp. 59-79.
Link from the academia page of Prof. Randy LaPolla: https://www.academia.edu/5218028
- (2009-2014) Editorial Assistant, Bulletin of Chinese Linguistics 中國語言學集刊.
- (Oct 2008) Member of the Chinese Delegation, 53rd Meeting of the ISO Unicode Meeting (ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2). Hong Kong: Hong Kong Polytechnic University.