Programme Overview and Aims
Recognized programme under the area Information Technology in Education for
The Education Bureau (EDB) has launched an initiative called the Scholarship for Teachers (Pursuit of Master's Degree Programmes) for the 2017/18 school year. The Scholarship for Teachers aims to celebrate achievements of high-performing teachers and to encourage teachers’ pursuit of higher qualifications as well as to enhance their professionalism. It is offered to selected full-time serving teachers who will pursue part-time studies in MSc(ITE) in the 2017/18 school year. Updated details for 2018/19 can be found at the EDB website at: http://www.edb.gov.hk/scholarship_teacher in due course.
Information Technology in Education is a multi-faceted field of study which combines learning theories, instructional design principles, learning technology, research methods, and pedagogical strategies. This programme aims to train individuals who are interested to work as instructional designers, e-learning specialists, adult educators or information technology coordinators in organisations or school contexts.
Business organisations (such as multimedia publishers, banks, and corporate training centres), universities, and schools are frequently in need of skilled professionals in applications of information technology in educational and training contexts. This programme offers participants theoretical and practical insights in the application of instructional design principles and information technology tools for learning and instruction.
The programme aims to provide
- An investigation into learning technology design, e-leadership, e-learning, and other emerging learning and teaching technology applications
- An opportunity to apply technology in learning and teaching
- An investigation into adult learning principles and strategies
- An exploration of the cultural, administrative theoretical and practical implications of technology in education
- An introduction to research in technology for education
- An opportunity for those wishing to develop leadership capabilities in the use of technology in education
Who should apply
We aim to enhance human learning and performance in various training or educational settings through the use of instructional design principles, and information technology tools.
This programme is particularly suitable for:
- Instructional designers, digital video producers, publishers, software developers, and multimedia designers who are interested in learning pedagogy.
- Professionals involved in staff development and corporate training
- School teachers and other education professionals with strong interest in using information technology for learning and instruction
- School administrators and technology coordinators
- Any other professional with an interest in expanding their education background, practice and knowledge of technology applications for learning and instruction
Mode of study
- For full-time study, the degree can be completed in one year
- For part-time study, it can be completed in two years and no more than four consecutive years
- Conducted in a face-to-face mode supplemented by online learning (e-learning)
- Flexible modular structure allows student to study at their own pace
- Three terms per year
- Classes usually held in weekday evenings or on Saturday mornings and afternoons but also day-time classes on weekdays for full-time students
Candidates with a full-time job should apply for the part-time mode.