Dr HO, Shun Yee
Dr HO, Shun Yee
B.A. (CUHK), B.A. (National Taiwan U), Cert. Ed. (HKU), M.A. (Washington), Ph.D. (Wisconsin-Madison)
MEd (Chinese Language & Literature) Coordinator, Faculty of Education, HKU, 2004-present.
Teacher Education and Learning Leadership
Tel: (852) 3917 2421
Location: Room 620, Meng Wah Complex
Areas of Expertise:
Chinese Literature Education; Comparative Literature; Drama Education; Literature in Translation; Modern Chinese Literature; Reading & Citizenship
Chinese Bibliography; Classical Chinese Poetry; Drama Appreciation and Teaching; Fiction; History of Chinese Literature; Literature in Translation; Literary Theory and Appreciation; Modern Chinese Literature; Teaching of Literature; Teaching of Writing; Teaching Chinese Literature in International Contexts
Classical Chinese Poetry; Drama-in-Education; Literary criticism; Literature and the arts in the curriculum; Literature and civic education; Modern Chinese fiction; Student’s learning of literature; Symbolism in Chinese literature
- Distinguished Teacher Award, Faculty of Education, The University of Hong Kong, 2007
- Ho, S.Y., principal investigator, Twenty Years after the 1911 Revolution: Observations and Reflections of Chinese Writers, Conference Grant for Teaching Staff, HKU, July 2011.
- Ho, S.Y., principal investigator, The World of Symbolism in the Religious Poems of the Shi jing, The Grant of Sabbatical Leave, HKU, July 2010.
- Ho, S.Y., principal investigator, An In-depth Learning of a Lu Xun's Short Story through Drama Techniques, Conference Grant for Teaching Staff, HKU, January 2010.
- Ho, S.Y., principal investigator, Caring for Children around the World, Quality Education Fund, 2009-2010.
- Ho, S.Y., principal investigator, Hot-seating as an Interactive Learning Activity for Literary Appreciation, Conference Grant for Teaching Staff, HKU, June 2009.
- Ho, S.Y., principal investigator, Enhancing Students' Citizenship through Literature: An Interdisciplinary Learning Approach to General Education, The Run Run Shaw Research and Teaching Endowment Fund, HKU, 2008-2012.
- Ho, S.Y., principal investigator, Integrating Literature with Civics: An Interdisciplinary Learning Approach in the BEd Programme, Faculty Teaching Development Fund, HKU, 2008-2009.
- Ho, S.Y., co-investigator (PI is Dr. Samuel Chu), Promoting a Collaborative Teaching Approach to Inquiry Project-based Learning with Web 2.0 at Upper Primary Levels, Quality Education Fund, 2009-2011.
- Ho, S.Y., principal investigator, An Analysis of Lung Yingtai's Intellectual Prose and Its Implications for Civic Education, Small Project Funding, HKU, 2007-2009.
- Ho, S.Y., principal investigator, Enhancing Deep Understanding of Literary Works through Cooperative Learning in Panel Discussions, Faculty Research Fund, HKU, 2006-2007.
- Ho, S.Y., principal investigator, Reflections on the Teaching of Chinese Literature Described in the Curriculum Reforms in Hong Kong from 1974 to 2006, Conference Grant for Teaching Staff, HKU, June 2006.
- Ho, S.Y., principal investigator, The Use of Multiple Voices of the Author, Faculty Research Fund, HKU, 2004-2005.
- Ho, S.Y., principal investigator, The Impact of Readers Theatre on the Learning of Chinese Literature, Seed Funding for New Staff, University Research Committee, HKU, 2002-2004.
- Ho, S.Y., principal investigator, Art and Chinese Communication, Departmental Research Fund, HKU, 2000.
- Ho, S.Y. "China Eighty Years Ago in a Forgotten Anthology of Short Fiction." Modernisation of Chinese Culture: Continuity and Change. Newcastle: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2013. 193-214.
- Ho, S.Y. "Landscape and Space as Religious Symbols in the Book of Poetry." Language and Landscape in East Asia. Leiden: Brill. [In press]
- Ho, S.Y. "Understanding the Chinese people from the Perspectives of Lu Xun and Lin Yutang" 魯迅與林語堂視角下的中國人：綜論《阿Q正傳》、《祝福》、《吾國與吾民》. Beijing: Literary Review 文學評論 （中國社會科學院）5 (2012): 130-135.
- Ho, S.Y. "An Analysis of Lung Yingtai's Intellectual Essays and their Implications for Civic Education" 論龍應台知性散文對公民教育的意義. Taibei: Dong Hwa Journal of Humanities 東華人文學報 18 (2011): 127-160.
- Ho, S.Y. "Pre-Confucian Chinese Beliefs as Reflected by the Religious Symbols in the Book of Poetry." Hong Kong: Ching Feng 景風 [A Journal on Christianity and Chinese Religion and Culture] 9.1-2 (2010): 71-102.
- Ho, S.Y. "The Significance of The Heaven Shop for the Civic Education of Teenagers" 論《天堂小店》對青少年公民教育的意義. Taibei: Tamkang Journal of Humanities and Social Sciences 淡江人文社會學刊 40 (2009): 1-24.
- Ho, S.Y. "The Dark Side of Human Nature in Zhu Xining's Fiction" 論朱西寧《餘燼》人性的陰冷與殘酷. Hong Kong: Lun Heng 論衡 [Journal of Literary Criticism] 6.1 (2008): 38-54.
- Ho, S.Y. "A Criticism of Lahiri's Short Stories" 評拉荷莉小說兼論現代小說技巧. Beijing: Foreign Literature 國外文學 4 (2004): 121-125.
- Ho, S.Y. "Bird Symbolism in the Religious Poems of the Book of Poetry." Hawaii: International Review of Chinese Religion and Philosophy 中國宗教與哲學國際論壇9 (2004): 1-24.
- Ho, S.Y. "The Significance of Musical Instruments and Food Utensils in Sacrifices of Ancient China." St. Augustin: Monumenta Serica 華裔學志51 (2003): 1-18.
- Ho, S.Y. "Plant Symbolism in the Religious Poems of the Book of Poetry." Hong Kong: Journal of Oriental Studies 東方文化37.2 (2003): 163-174.
- Ho, S.Y. and Chan Yuet Hung. "A Discussion of Wen Yiduo's ‘On Fish'" 說魚續篇. Anhui: Research in Ancient Works 古籍研究 3 (2002): 8-9.
- Ho, S.Y. "The Significance of Ox Symbolism in Ancient China" 說牛. Beijing: Chinese Classics & Culture 中國典籍與文化 37 (2001): 6-11.
- Ho, S.Y. "An Interpretation of Landscape and Space Symbolism in the Religious Poems of the Book of Poetry." An International Conference on Landscape and Language in East Asia, Baltic Research Center for East Asian Studies, 19-22 October, 2011.
- Ho, S.Y. "Republican China (1927-37) as Reflected in Literature." 2nd International Conference on Specific Topics in Chinese Studies (STCS): One Hundred Years of Modern China, University of Ljubljana, 14-17 October, 2011.
- Ho, S.Y. "Twenty Years after the 1911 Revolution: Observations and Reflections of Chinese Writers." The 2011 Conference of the Chinese Studies Association of Australia, Australian National University, 13-15 July, 2011.
- Ho, S.Y. "The World of Symbolism in the Religious Poems of the Shi jing." 18th Biennial Conference of the European Association for Chinese Studies, University of Latvia, 14-18 July, 2010.
- Chu, Sam, N. J. Tavares, Donna Chu, Shun-yee Ho, Ken Chow, Felix Siu, & Mona Wong. Developing Upper Primary Students' 21st Century Skills: Inquiry Learning through Collaborative Teaching and Web 2.0 Technology. Hong Kong: Centre for Information Technology in Education, HKU, 2012.
- Ho, S.Y. The Classroom as a Stage for Life: Teaching Literature through Drama 課室的人生舞臺：以戲劇教文學. Hong Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 2011.
- Ho, S.Y. Caring for Children around the World: The Power of Reading and Serving 與全球孩子同行：閱讀與服務的力量. Hong Kong: Centre for Advancement of Chinese Language Education and Research, 2010.
- Ho, S.Y. et al., eds. A Day in The Chinese University of Hong Kong 中大的一日. Hong Kong: Qing Wen, 1983.
- Ho, S.Y. "Creative Drama and Speech" 創意戲劇與說話. Creative Drama. Hong Kong: CultaZine & Centre for Holistic Teaching and Learning of Hong Kong Baptist University, 2011. 50-56.
- Ho, S.Y. "A Contrast of Black and White: A Theatre Reflection on Ya Xian's The Salt" 黑與白的世界：瘂弦詩歌《鹽》的劇場再思. Hong Kong: TEFOzine [Journal of Drama and Education] 4 (2017): 16-21.
- Ho, S.Y. & Vivien Man-wai Lee. "Toward Integration of Reading and Service Learning through an Interdisciplinary Program." Seoul: Asia Pacific Education Review 13.2 (2012): 251-262.
- Ho, Francis & Shun-yee Ho. "Using the Dramatic Monologue in Teaching Social Sciences." Quebec: Pédagogie Collégiale 24.2 (2011): 15-20.
- Ho, S.Y. "The Use of Hot-seating in a Literature Classroom" 「提問角色」的戲劇技巧在中文課堂的應用. Hong Kong: TEFOzine [Journal of Drama and Education] 4 (2009): 34-38.
- Ho, S.Y. "An Analysis of the Theory and Practice of Panel Discussions Adopted in the Teaching of Literature" 析論文學座談會的理念與實踐. Singapore: Journal of Chinese Language Education 華文學刊5.1 (2007): 33-54.
- Ho, S.Y. & Ada W. M. Poon. "Application of Readers Theatre in Advanced Chinese Language Courses" 朗讀劇場應用於高級漢語課. Honolulu: Journal of the Chinese Language Teachers Association 中文教師學會學報41.2 (2006): 23-44.
- Ho, S.Y. "The Integration of Mathematics and Writing in Teaching" 數學與寫作教學的融通. Guangzhou: Language Monthly 語文月刊10 (2005): 24-25.
- Ho, S.Y. "The Use of Readers Theatre in the Teaching of Poetry" 朗讀劇場的詩歌教學. Hong Kong: Educational Research Journal 教育研究學報20.1 (2005): 101-119.
- Ho, S.Y. "The Impact of Readers Theatre on the Learning of Chinese Literature" 朗讀劇場對中國文學的學習成效. Taibei: Journal of Taiwan Normal University 師大學報〔人文與社會類〕 49.2 (2004): 101-122.
- Ho, Angela & Shun-yee Ho. "Benefits of Conductive Education for Children with Spastic Hemiplegia." England: International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation 11.12 (2004): 546.
- Ho, Francis & Shun-yee Ho. "Teaching College Humanities and Social Sciences through Creative Drama." Quebec: Pédagogie Collégiale 16.2 (2002): 29-32.
- Ho, S.Y. "Teaching Chinese with Cartoons" 談中文科漫畫教學. Taibei: The World of Chinese Language & Literature 國文天地 200 (2002): 83-88.
- Ho, S.Y. "A Selected Bibliography on the Teaching of Chinese Language and Literature" 中國語文及文學教學法參考資料選編. Hong Kong: Language Teaching 語文教學 11 (2001): 28-30.
- Ho, S.Y. "Teaching Literature through Monologues" 精巧深刻的獨白劇. Hong Kong: Curriculum Forum 課程論壇 10.1 (2000): 59-70.
- Ho, S.Y. "Multi-media Art and Language Teaching" 多媒體藝術在語文教學上的應用. Hong Kong: Modern Educational Bulletin 現代教育通訊 49 (1999): 14-17.
- Ho, S.Y., Vivien Lee, & S. K. Tse. "The Effect of an Interdisciplinary Program of Reading and Service Learning." The 8th IAIMTE International Conference on Learning and Teaching of Language and Literature, Hildesheim University, 15-17 June, 2011.
- Ho, S.Y. "An In-depth Learning of a Lu Xun's Short Story through Drama Techniques". 8th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Arts and Humanities, Hawaii International Conference & University of Louisville, 13-16 January, 2010.
- Ho, S.Y. "Hot-seating as an Interactive Learning Activity for Literary Appreciation". The 7th IAIMTE International Conference on Learning and Teaching of Language and Literature, University of Toronto, 23-26 June, 2009.
- Ho, S.Y. "The Use of Panel Discussion as a Drama Technique in the Teaching of Literature". Sixth World Congress for International Drama / Theatre & Education Association, Hong Kong, 16-22 July, 2007.
- Ho, S.Y. et al. "Reflections on the Teaching of Chinese Literature as Described in the Curriculum Reforms in Hong Kong from 1974 to 2006" 香港課程變革下中國文學教學的反思. International Conference on the Teaching of Literature under Curriculum Reforms, Beijing Normal University in China, 17-18 June, 2006.
- Ho, S.Y. "Diversity and Tolerance" 多元與包容. Hong Kong Economic Journal 信報 29 June, 2004: 27.
- Ho, S.Y. "Zhuang Zi in Today's Hongkong Classroom" 莊子在今天香港教室. Hong Kong Economic Journal 信報 18 November, 2003: 14.
- Ho, S.Y. "In Memory of Professor Wong Kai-chee" 老師身影. Ming Pao 明報 13 April, 2002.
- Ho, S.Y. "Exploring the Minds of Writers Through Monologue Drama" 學生創獨白劇探索作家心靈. The Joy of Teaching. Hong Kong: Ming Pao 明報 37 (2002): 15.
- Judge, Creative Drama Contest, Hong Kong Teachers Drama Association, May 2011.
- Instructor, Workshop on Promoting Reading Across Curriculum through Drama Activities, CDI, Education Bureau, May 2011.
- Judge, Secondary-school students' criticism of news on poverty, a QEF project of Mission to New Arrivals, April 2010.
- Subject committee member, Chinese Literature, Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority, 2010-2015.
- Consultant, Hong Kong Teachers Drama Association, 2010-present.
- Speaker, "Caring for Children all over the World", The Teachers' Professional Experience Sharing Month, Quality Education Fund, March 2010.
- Consultant, TEFOzine professional journal, Hong Kong Drama/Theatre and Education Forum, 2008-present.
- Advisor, "Teacher Training for Drama Workshops in the NSS Chinese Curriculum", QEF, Hong Kong Teachers Drama Association, 2007.
- Member, Hong Kong Drama/Theatre and Education Forum, 2000-present.
- Instructor, Training course on the new Chinese curriculum, Curriculum Development Council, January 2003.
- Speaker, "Teaching of Literature", Staff Development Day, Holm Glad College, June 2002.
- Speaker, "Creative Teaching", Staff Development Day, Henrietta Secondary School, March 2000.
- Judge, School Literary Award, Hong Kong Arts Development Council and Hong Kong Education Department, 1999-2000.