Professor ANDREWS, Stephen J.
Professor ANDREWS, Stephen J.
M.A. (Cantab), PGCE (York), M.A. (Essex), PhD (Southampton)
Tel: (852) 3917 2414
Location: Room 421, Meng Wah Complex
Areas of Expertise:
English Language Teacher Education; Pedagogical Content Knowledge
ELT Methodology; Applied Linguistics; Curriculum and Assessment; Pedagogic Grammar; Teacher Language Awareness
Teacher Language Awareness; Pedagogical Content Knowledge; Teacher Beliefs; Curriculum Innovation; Washback
- HKSAR Government Medal of Honour. Awarded in October 2014 for services to teacher education and English language education
- Faculty Outstanding Research Student Supervisor Award 2008
- An impact study of a high-stakes ESL assessment innovation in Hong Kong secondary schools'. Principal Investigator, RGC-funded project (Sept. 2006 - December 2009).
- Aligning assessment with curriculum reform in Junior Secondary English Language Teaching'. QEF-funded project (PI Dr Chris Davison). Co-Investigator. (Aug. 2006 - July 2008).
- Study of 'Summative oral school-based assessment in secondary ESL in Hong Kong' RGC-funded project (PI Dr Chris Davison). Co-Investigator. (2004 - 2006).
- Study of 'Effective school-based assessment in English Language Teaching in Hong Kong secondary schools' QEF-funded project (PI Dr Chris Davison). (2004 - 2006).
- Member of EMB Consultancy Project Team for the Study of Good Practices in Secondary Schools: Enhancing Students English Language Proficiency (March 2003 - September 2004).
- Study of the spoken English performance of Hong Kong Form 7 students before and after the introduction of the Use of English exam (principal researcher) - project completed 2001.
- Study of the metalinguistic awareness of Hong Kong secondary school teachers of English - project completed 1999.
- Song, Y. and Andrews, S. (2009) The L1 in L2 learning - teacher beliefs and practices. Munich: LINCOM.
- Andrews, S. (2007) Teacher language awareness. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Journal articles and book chapters
- Andrews, S., and Lin, A. (Forthcoming) ‘Language awareness and teacher development’ In Garrett, P and Cots, J-M (eds) Routledge Handbook of Language Awareness. London:Routledge.
- Andrews, S. (Forthcoming) ‘Language awareness and syllabus design’ In Faravani, A., Kargozari, H.R., Zeraatpishe, M., and Azarnoosh, M (eds) Issues in SLA research: syllabus designing and curriculum development Rotterdam:Sense Publishers.
- Andrews, S., and Svalberg, A. (Published online 2016) ‘Teacher language awareness’ In Cenoz, J and Gorter, D (eds) Encyclopedia of Language and Education, Volume 6 Knowledge about Language (2nd edition) New York:Springer.
- Zhan, Y., and Andrews, S. (2014) 'Washback effects from a high-stakes examination on out-of-class English learning: insights from possible self theories'. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy and Practice
- Qin, X., and Andrews, S. (2013) 'Do test design and uses influence test preparation? Testing a model of washback with Structural Equation Modeling'. Language Testing 30,1: 49-70.
- Leung, C.Y., and Andrews, S. (2012) 'The mediating role of textbooks in high stakes assessment reform'. ELT Journal 66,3: 356-365.
- Niu, R., and Andrews, S. (2012) 'Commonalities and discrepancies in L2 teachers' beliefs and practices about vocabulary pedagogy: A small culture approach'. TESOL Journal 6: 128-146.
- Cheng, L., Andrews, S., and Yu, Y. (2011) 'Impact and consequences of school-based assessment (SBA): Students' and parents' views of SBA in Hong Kong'. Language Testing 28: 221-249.
- Huang, J. and Andrews, S. (2010) 'Situated development and use of language learner strategies: voices from EFL students' Language Learning Journal 38,1:19-35.
- Xie, Q. and Andrews, S. (2010) 'Research in progress: Language and Literature Division, Faculty of Education, Hong Kong University' Language Teaching 43,1:108-112.
- Berry, R. and Andrews, S. (2009) Guest Editors of Special Double Issue of Language Awareness – Vol. 18, No. 3-4 'Engaging with language': Selected papers from the 9th International Conference of the Association for Language Awareness. 192pp.
- Andrews. S. (2008) 'Teacher language awareness' In Cenoz, J (ed) Encyclopedia of Language and Education, Volume 6 Knowledge about Language New York: Springer.
- Andrews, S. (2007) 'Researching and developing teacher language awareness: developments and future directions' In Davison, C and Cummins, J (eds) The Handbook of English Language Teaching New York: Springer.
- Andrews, S. (2006) 'The evolution of teachers' language awareness' Language Awareness 15,1:1-19.
- Andrews, S., and McNeill, A. (2005) 'Knowledge About Language and "Good" language teachers'. In Bartels, N (ed) Applied linguistics and language teacher education (pages 159-178) New York: Springer.
- Andrews, S. (2005) 'Professional standards in TEFL - a challenge for Asia' Journal of Asia TEFL 2,1:1-22.
- Andrews, S. (2004) 'Washback and curriculum innovation' In Cheng, L., and Watanabe, Y (eds) Context and method in washback research : the influence of language testing on teaching and learning (pages 37-50) Mahwah, NJ:Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Andrews, S. (2003) Special Issue of Language Awareness - Vol. 12, No.2 Teacher Language Awareness (Guest Editor).
- Andrews, S. (2003) 'Teacher language awareness and the pedagogical content knowledge of the L2 teacher'. Language Awareness 12, 2:81-95.
- Andrews, S. (2003) 'Just like instant noodles - L2 teachers and their beliefs about grammar pedagogy' Teachers and Teaching: Theory and Practice 9, 4:351-376.
- Tsui, A.B.M., and Andrews, S. (2002) Special Issue of Journal of Asian Pacific Communication - 'Setting Standards and Language Variation : a Dilemma for Language Education'
- Andrews, S. (2002) 'Teacher language awareness and language standards'. Journal of Asian Pacific Communication 12,1:39-62.
- Tsui, A.B.M., and Andrews, S. (2002) 'Setting Standards and Language Variation : a Dilemma for Language Education'. Journal of Asian Pacific Communication 12,1:1-11.
- Andrews, S., Fullilove, J., and Wong, Y. (2002) 'Targeting washback - a case-study'. System 30, 207-223.
- Andrews, S. (2001) 'The language awareness of the L2 teacher : its impact upon pedagogical practice' Language Awareness 10, 2&3:75-90.
- Andrews, S. (1999) 'Metalinguistic awareness and ELT textbooks'. Curriculum Forum 9, 1:45-61.
- Andrews, S. (1999) '"All these like little name things" - a comparative study of language teachers' explicit knowledge of grammar and grammatical terminology'. Language Awareness 8, 3&4:143-159.
- Andrews, S. (1999) 'Why do L2 teachers need to 'Know About Language'? Teacher metalinguistic awareness and input for learning'. Language and Education 13,3:161-177.
- Andrews, S. (1997) 'Metalinguistic awareness and teacher explanation'. Language Awareness 6, 3&4:147-161.
- Andrews, S. (1996) 'Metalinguistic awareness and lesson planning'. In Storey,P, Berry,V, Bunton,D and Hoare,P (Eds) Issues in Language in Education Proceedings of ILEC 1995 (pages191-210). Hong Kong:HKIEd.
- Andrews, S. (1995) 'Washback or washout ? - the relationship between examination reform and curriculum innovation'. In Nunan, D et al (Eds) Bringing about change in language education Vol.1 of Proceedings of ILEC 1994 (pages 67-82). Department of Curriculum Studies, University of Hong Kong.
- Andrews, S. (1994) 'The grammatical knowledge and awareness of Hong Kong teachers of English'. In Bird, N. et al (Eds) Language and learning Proceedings of ILEC 1993 (pages 508-520). Hong Kong : Institute of Language in Education, Education Department.
- Andrews, S. (1994) 'The grammatical knowledge/awareness of native-speaker EFL teachers - what the trainers say' In Bygate, M, Tonkyn, A and Williams, E (Eds) Grammar and the language teacher (pages 69-89). Hemel Hempstead : Prentice Hall.
- Andrews, S. (1994) 'The washback effect of examinations : its impact upon curriculum innovation in English language teaching' Curriculum Forum 4,1:44-58.
- Falvey, P., and Andrews, S. (1994) 'The Cambridge Examination in English for Language Teachers (CEELT) - innovative ways of testing the language skills of language teachers : reflections after a decade'. In Boyle, J and Falvey, P (Eds) English language testing in Hong Kong (pages 267-282). Hong Kong : Chinese University Press.
- Andrews, S., and Fullilove, J. (1994) 'Assessing spoken English in public examinations - why and how?'. In Boyle,J and Falvey, P (Eds) English language testing in Hong Kong (pages 57-86). Hong Kong : Chinese University Press.
- (2009 - present) Member of Standing Committee on Language Education and Research (SCOLAR)
- (2008 - 2010) External examiner for HKIEd/CUHK inter-institutional B.A. (English Studies) and B.Ed. (English Language Education) programme
- (2006 - 2010) External Examiner for Lancaster University's MA in TESOL programme in Hong Kong.
- (2006 - present) Member of Vocational Training Council (VTC) Languages Advisory Committees
- (2005 - present) Member of Editorial Board of 'Language Awareness'
- (2005 - 2008) Co-convenor (with Dr Chris Davison) University of Hong Kong Strategic Research Theme 'Languages, Media and Communication', sub-theme 'Language Education and Assessment Research'
- (2001 - 2006) External Examiner for Hong Kong Institute of Education (HKIEd) In-service programmes for Teachers Using English as the Medium of Instruction in Secondary Schools (EMI) and for Teachers of English in Secondary Schools
- (2001 - 2005) Member of the Vocational Training Council (VTC) Foundation Studies and Languages Discipline Board
- (2000 - 2002) Curriculum and Self-accreditation Advisor to the National University of Laos (Asian Development Bank project).
- (2000 - present) Reviewer for journals including TESOL Quarterly, Applied Linguistics, Language Awareness, Language Teaching Research, System, Language, Culture and Curriculum, Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education and Development, and Asia TEFL Journal
- (2000 - 2008) Committee member of the Association for Language Awareness
- (2000 - 2006) Member of Language Benchmark Assessment for Teachers Main Committee
- (2000) Member of Hong Kong Council for Academic Accreditation panel validating the Hong Kong Institute of Education Postgraduate Diploma in Education.