Dr DENEEN, Christopher
Dr DENEEN, Christopher
BA (Trinity University), MAT (Indiana University), EdD (Columbia University)
Research Assistant Professor
Assistant Professor (Hon.)
Division of English Language Education
Tel: (852) 2241 5797
Location: Room 106, Hui Oi Chow Science Building
Areas of Expertise:
Assessment in Higher and Teacher Education, with Emphasis on Technology, Change, and Curriculum
Curriculum and assessment in primary settings; EL education at the upper primary level; planning and performance of action research; reflection as professional teacher practice
Assessment in higher and teacher education, with special focus on the relationship of assessment to technology, change/change management, professional/curriculum development
Most recently, my conference paper on analyzing assessment change in higher and teacher education was nominated for best paper at the 2012 EARLI Special Interest Group (SIG 4) conference on higher education in Tallinn, Estonia.
Externally funded competitive research grants
- Deneen, C. C., Carless, D., & Brown, G.T.L. (2012-2014). From conception to action: Understanding eportfolios as assessment in higher education. General Research Fund (GRF). Research Grants Council of Hong Kong. HKD $440,550. Principal investigator.
- Carless, D., MacFarlane, B., Yang, M., & Deneen, C. C. (2012-2014). Exploring a learning-oriented assessment framework: Theorizing through case studies of award-winning higher education teachers. General Research Fund (GRF). Research Grants Council of Hong Kong. HKD$ 661,926. Co-investigator.
- Miller, L, Litchfield, A., Repa, T., Bearse, C., & Deneen, C. (2007-2010). Language development in the context of the disciplines. New York State Department of Education. USD $1.5 million. Co-author.
- (Submitted; under review) Chen, J. Chin, W., Tiwari, A., Glofcheski, R., Bennet, Y., Botelho, M., Chak, L., Lee, A., Lam, T., Chan, L., Beh, P., Deneen, C., Doherty, I. (2014-2017). Cultivating the life-long learning of professionalism through e-portfolio. University Grants Council Special Funding Initiative. HKD$ 3,796,906. Co-investigator.
- (Submitted; under review) Botelho, M., McPherson, B., Ng, T., Harfit, G., Lee, A., Tiwari, A., Cheung, E. Ma, C., Bridges, S., C. Deneen. An online Learning and Assessment/feedback Management Platform (LAMP) for supporting the experiential learning cycle. University Grants Council Special Funding Initiative. HKD$ 6,820,000. Co-writer and curriculum consultant.
Internal research grants
- Deneen, C. C. & Chan, Y. Y. (2013-2014). Developing and investigating an integrated group and individual assessment plan. University of Hong Kong Faculty Teaching Development Fund. HKD $25,950. Principal investigator.
- Deneen, C. C., Carless, D., & Brown, G.T.L. (2012). Pilot study: From conception to action, understanding eportfolios as assessment in higher education. Seed Funding Programme for Basic Research. University of Hong Kong. HKD $110,094. Principal investigator.
- Deneen, C., Lam, B.H., Tsui, K.T., & Brown, G. (2010-2011). Student perspectives on course outcomes: Insights for course development within OBL and 335 frameworks. Teaching Development Grant. Hong Kong Institute of Education. HKD $125,000. Principal investigator.
- Lam, B.H., Tsui, K.T., & Deneen, C. (2010-2011). Student perspectives on subject outcomes in curriculum and instruction. Hong Kong Institute of Education. HKD $200,000. Co-investigator.
- Deneen, C. & Deneen, J. (2008). Assessing student achievement: A guide for teachers and administrators. Lanham, MD, USA: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.
- Deneen, J. & Deneen, C. (2005). A board’s guide to assessment in the school: Understanding roles and methods. Arlington, VA, USA: National Catholic Education Association.
- Deneen, C. & Deneen, J. (2002). Measuring the mission: An elementary and secondary Catholic school board, commission and council assessment process. Arlington, VA, USA: National Catholic Education Association.
Journal articles and book chapters
- Deneen, C. C. How good am I? Self-evaluation and ghosts of the past in an examination culture. In P. Hanstedt & J. Curry (Eds.) Reading Hong Kong, Reading Ourselves. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press. (Accepted; projected publication date of June, 2014)
- Deneen, C. C. & Boud, D. (2013). Patterns of Resistance in Managing Assessment Change. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, (advance online publication). DOI:10.1080/02602938.2013.859654
- Deneen, C., Brown, G. T., Bond, T. G., & Shroff, R. (2013). Understanding outcome-based education changes in teacher education: evaluation of a new instrument with preliminary findings. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, 41(4), 441-456.
- Deneen, C. C. (2013). Eportfolios in a higher education context: Preliminary findings on assessment and technology issues. Journal of Information Systems Technology & Planning, 6(17), pagination forthcoming.
- Mak, C. N., Liu, Y., & Deneen, C. C. (2012). Humor in the workplace: A regulating and coping mechanism in socialization. Discourse Studies, 6(2), 1-17.
- Shroff, R., Deneen, C., & Ng, E. M. W. (2011). Analysis of the technology acceptance model in examining students' behavioural intention to use an e-portfolio system. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 27(4), 600-618.
- Shroff, R. H., & Deneen, C. C. (2011). Assessing online textual feedback to support student intrinsic motivation using a collaborative text-based dialogue system: A qualitative study. International Journal on E-Learning, 10(1), 87-104.
- Deneen, C. (2010). Through the power of his coffee mug: Negotiating a gendered, professional identity in primary school. The International Journal of Learning, 17(10), 195-203.
- Deneen, C. C. & Shroff, R. (2010) Eportfolio use in two institutes of higher education: A comparative case study. In I. Ismail (Ed.) Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on E-learning (92-100). Reading, UK: Academic Publishing Limited.
- Shroff, R. & Deneen, C. C. (2010). Assessing online textual feedback to support student intrinsic motivation using a collaborative text-based dialogue system: A qualitative study. In I. Ismail (Ed.) Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on E-learning (374-382). Reading, UK: Academic Publishing Limited.
- Reviewer, Australasian Journal of Educational Technology
- Reviewer, Journal of Educational Administration
- Reviewer, The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher
- Associate Editor, The International Journal of Learning (2009-2011)
Invited keynotes, lectures, and symposia
- Deneen, C. C. (2014, February 17). How can we use assessment to challenge our students and ourselves? Faculty of Business Teaching, Learning and Assessment Seminar Series. Invited seminar, The Auckland University of Technology.
- Deneen, C. C. (2014, February 11). Eportfolios as program level assessments. Institute of Medical and Health Sciences Education Seminar Series. Invited lecture. The University of Hong Kong.
- Deneen, C. C. (2013, December 6). Digital portfolios and depth: The importance of achieving deep curriculum design for technology. Frontiers in Medical and Health Sciences Education Conference. Invited plenary talk. The University of Hong Kong.
- Deneen, C.C. (2013, June 27). Possibilities, problems, and potential: A critical understanding of eportfolios in higher education. School of Business Lecture Series. Invited lecture. Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, NZ.
- Deneen, C.C. & Brown, G.T.L. (2013, June 26). Understanding E-Portfolios as Assessment in Higher Education. Invited lecture. Faculty of Education Lecture Series. University of Auckland, Auckland, NZ.
- Deneen, C. C. (2012, October 5). Eportfolios as assessment in higher education: A quick overview. eLearning Portfolios: Evidence, assessment, and application, using Moodle & WordPress. Invited plenary. University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- Deneen, C.C. (2012, April 24). Introduction to assessment in teacher education. Conference and workshop for teacher education delegates from Suratthani Rajabhat University. Invited keynote. University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- Deneen, C. C.; Carless, D., Ho, L., McFarlane, B. (2011, November 23). Should we stop using essays to assess university students? The Community for Higher Education research symposium series. Invited symposium. University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.