Dr. Kwan, Tammy Y.L.
Personal ParticularsB.A., M.Ed. (H.K.); M.Sc. (Oxon); Ph.D. (Q'ld.); Cert. Ed., Adv. Dip. Ed. (H.K.)
Associate Professor & Assistant Dean (School-University Partnerships)
- B.A. (Geography), Cert.Ed. (Geography major, Social Studies minor), Adv.Dip.Ed., M.Ed. (Curriculum Studies in Social Science) [The University of Hong Kong];
- M.Sc. (Forestry and Its Relation to Land Management) [University of Oxford];
- Ph.D [Queensland University of Technology].
Teaching Areas: Tertiary Teaching Experiences
|1999 (Dec) -||Associate Professor, Dept. of Curriculum Studies, The University of Hong Kong|
|1998 (Oct) - 1999 (Dec)||Assistant Professor, Dept. of Curriculum Studies, The University of Hong Kong|
|1998 (Jan - Sept)||Research Fellow, Department of Curriculum Studies, The University of Hong Kong|
|1992 (July) - 1997 (Dec)||Lecturer, School of Professional Studies, Queensland University of Technology|
|1988 (Aug) - 1992 (June)||Lecturer, Department of Curriculum Studies, The University of Hong Kong|
Teaching AreasGeographical Education, Liberal Studies, Social Education, Environmental Education, Curriculum Issues and Development, Teacher Development
- Good Practice in Teaching and Learning (includes learning study, problem-based, self-directed, portfolio development, issue-based, inquiry-based, action research, and related resources production);
- Teacher Education (includes School-University Partnership, Mentoring, Staff and Professional Development);
- Curriculum Development (includes Geographical, Social, Humanities and Environmental Education); and
- Mapping and Children (primary level); Wayfinding (primary and secondary levels).
- Impact of 'Whole School Mentoring Support' Approach to Professional Learning of Student-Teachers and Mentor-Teachers. Funded by the Small Project Funding for a sum of $53,123 (Principal Investigator. Dr. Tammy Kwan), 2008.
- Conceptual understanding of School-University Partnership. Funded by the Small Project Funding for a sum of $63,063 (Principal Investigator: Dr. Tammy Kwan), 2007.
- Improving Student Teachers' Professional Learning Through the Development of Learning Communities. Funded HK$200,000 for two years by the Faculty Teaching Development Grant as co-investigator (Principal Investigators are Dr. Pang Ming-fai and Dr. Benny Yung), 2006.
- Systemic ILN Integration into Faculty of Education Learning and Teaching Programs. Funded HK$190,190 for two years by the Faculty Teaching Development Grant as co-investigator (Principal Investigator: Dr. Bob Fox), 2006.
- Evaluation of Learning Effectiveness of Portfolio Building and the Use of Self-Directed Learning Time in the New Structure of the FT PDGE Programme. Funded $100,000 for two years by the Teaching Development Grant as Principal Investigator (Co-Principal Investigator Mr. Fran Lopez-Real, co-investigator Dr Pang Ming-fai), 2005.
- Evaluating of the Learning Effectiveness of Portfolio Building in the New Structure of the FT PGDE Programme. Funded $55,882 for two years by Small Project Funding as Principal Investigator (co-investigators being Mr. Fran Lopez-Real, Dr. Pang Ming-fai), 2004.
- Curriculum Interpretation of Liberal Studies by Hong Kong Schools. Funded $15,288 for two years by Faculty Research Fund as sole investigator, 2004.
- A Socially Theory of Learning: the mentor teachers' perspective. Funded $14,060 for two years by Faculty Research Fund as Principal Investigator (co-investigator Mr Fran Lopez-Real), 2003.
- Investigation into the impact of school-university partnerships in teacher education in Hong Kong, funding $800,000 by RGC as the proposal writer and co-investigator (P.I. Dr. J. Day), 2002.
- The Receptivity of PSHE Teacher in Secondary Schools to Curriculum Reform in Hong Kong, funded $105,600 by URG's seed funding as co-investigator (P.I. Mr. G.Edwards), 2002.
PublicationsPapers in International Refereed Journals
- Kwan, T. and Lopez-Real, F. (2009) "Identity Formation of Teacher-Mentors: An Analysis of Contrasting Experiences Using a Wengerian Matrix Framework", Teaching and Teacher Education (forthcoming).
- Pow, J. and Kwan, T. (2009) "Nurturing Reflective Practice in Initial Teacher Education: Dissection of a Self-Directed Learning Session", Journal of the International Society for Teacher Education (JISTE). International Society for Teacher Education. 13(1):24-32.
- Chan, E. and Kwan, T. (2008) "Conceptions of Geography Teaching and Learning: A Qualitative Study with Ning Hong Kong Geography Teachers", Research in Geographic Education. USA, The Gilber M. Grosvenor Centre for Geographic Education. 10(2):41-65.
- Kwan, T. (2008) "Evaluation of the Learning Experiences of Using Different Modes of Problem-Based Learning in an Initial Teacher Education Programme". Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, 36(4), 323-343.
- Kwan, T. & So, M. (2008) "Environmental Learning Using a Problem-Based Approach in the Field: a case study of a Hong Kong School", International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education, 17(2), 93-113.
- Kwan, T. & Lopez-Real, F. (2005) "Mentors' Perceptions of their Roles in Mentoring Student Teachers", Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, 33(3), 275-287.
- Lopez-Real, F. & Kwan, T. (2005) "Mentors' Perceptions of their own Professional Development during Mentoring", Journal of Education for Teaching, 31(1), 15-24.
- Kwan, T. & Chan, E. (2004) "Using Theory of Learning and Awareness to Bring Learning About Through a School-based Environmental Field Project", International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education, 13(4), 303-328.
- Kwan, T. (2003) "Geography and Citizenship Education in Hong Kong". International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education, 12(1), 66-73.
- Pearson, J., Kwan, T. & Wong, S. (2003) "Investigating Problem-Based Learning in an Initial Teacher Education Programme". International Journal of Learning, volume 10, pp.201-212.
- Kwan, T. & Chan, E. (2002) "Preparing Self-Directed Geography Students Through an Issue-Based Fieldwork Project", International Refereed CD-ROM, GEC of IGU. April 2003
- Gerber, R. & Kwan, T. (2001) "Adolescent Students' Conceptions of Different Environments Through Photographs", Australian Journal of Environmental Education, volume 17, pp. 9-18. (December, 2001)
Chapters in Books and Monographs
- Kwan, T., Lopez-Real, F. & Tsui, A.B.M. (2008) "Learning, Mentoring and Identity Formation". In Tsui, A.B.M., Edwards, G. & Lopez-Real, F. (with Tammy Kwan, Doris Law, Philip Stimpson, Rosina Tang & Albert Wong as collaborating authors) Learning in Communities of Practice in School-University Partnership. Chapter 4, pp.69-89. N.J., Routledge.
- Lee, J., Lin, P.Y. & Kwan, T. (2006) "Environmental and Geographical Education for Sustainability in Hong Kong and China: Trends and Issues" In Williams. M. (Ed.) Environmental and Geographical Education for Sustainability: Cultural Contexts, New York: Nova Publisher. (Accepted and forthcoming).
- Kwan, T. & Chan, E. "Cultural Stories of Three Young Chinese". In Lidstone, J. (Ed.) Cultural Issues of Our Time. Chapter 5, pp. 47-58. June 2006. Cambridge University Press.
- Kwan, T. & Stimspon, P. (2004) "Initial Training of Geography Teachers: Knowledge and Approaches". In Kent, A., Rawling, E. & Robinson, A. (Eds.) Geographical Education: making sense of a shrinking world. Published jointly by the IGU-CGE British Sub-Committee and the Scottish Association of Geography Teachers. Chapter 14, pp. 120-123.
- Kwan, T. "Self-Directed Learning and Self-Directed Learners in Geographical Education". In Gerber, R. (Ed.) International Handbook on Geographical Education. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publisher. January 2003.
- Kwan, T. "Geography Beyond the Classroom: achieving cultural understanding through issue-based inquiry learning." Gerber, R. & Williams, M. (Eds.) Geography, Culture and Education. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publisher. November 2002.
- Kwan, T., Ng, F.P. & Chik, P. "Repetition and Variation". In Marton, F. & Morris, P. (Eds.) What Matters? Discovering critical conditions of classroom learning. ACTA: Universtitatis Gothoburgensis. November 2002. Chapter 3, pp.39-58.
- Kwan, T. & Anderson, J.M. (2001) "Children's Knowing Through Map Constructs of 'Their' World". In Robertson, M. & Gerber, R. (Eds.) Children's Ways of Knowing: learning through experience. Chapter 12, pp.194-212. Melbourne: ACER press.
- Mok, I., Chik, P., Ko, P.Y., Kwan, T., Lo, M.L., Marton, F., Ng, F.P., Pang, M.F., Runesson, U. and Sze-To, L.H. (2001) "Solving the Paradox of the Chinese Teacher?". In Watkins, D. & Biggs, J. (Eds.) Teaching the Chinese Learner: psychological and pedagogical perspectives. Chapter 8, pp.161-180, Comparative Education Research Centre: The University of Hong Kong.
Community and Professional Services and Administrative DutiesCommunity Services
- Independent Member of the School Management Committee, Tseung Kwan O Government Primary School (invited) (2009 - 2011)
- Member of the CDC Committee on PSHE. (invited) (2009 - 2011)
Working Party member on Curriculum Revision of the Junior Secondary Geography (Invited by CDC)
(2008 - 2011)
Committee member of the CDC-HKEAA Committee on Geography (Advanced Level) (representing HKU)
(2007 - 2010)
- External Examiners of E334C (General Studies), Open University (2002 - 2005)
- External Examiners of E850C (Curriculum and Assessment), Open University. (2001 - 2004)
- External Examiners of two programmes (PGDE in Primary - FT & PT) in Hong Kong Institute of Education. (1999 - 2002)
- Committee member of the HKEA Geography (CE) Subject Committee.(representing HKU) (1998 - )
- Committee member on Personal, Social and Humanities Education, Curriculum Development Council Committee. (1999 - 2003)
- Organizing Committee Member of International IT Conference on Geo-Spatial Education, hosted by Department of Land Surveying and Geo-Informatics, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University. (1999 - 2000)
- Committee member of the Joint CDC / HKEA Geography Subject Committee (Secondary) (1998 - 2003)
- Consultancy Convenor for SKH Bishop Mok Sau Tseng Secondary School on "High Order Thinking in Teaching and Learning" (invited) (1998 - 2001)
- Editorial Board member and academic reviewer, Reflective Learning - UK, Reflective Practice: International and Multidisciplinary Perspectives. (invited) (2009 - )
- Editorial Board member and academic reviewer, Research in Geographic Education, Texas State University, San Marcos, USA (invited) (2007 - )
- Academic referee for Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education, Melbourne, Australia. (invited) (2006 - )
- Editorial Board of Journal of Teacher Education and Training. Institute of Sustainable Education, Faculty of Education and Management, Daugavpils University, Latvia. (invited) (2005 - )
- Full Committee member of Geographical Education Commission of International Geographical Union. (2000 - )
Editorial Review Panel of Geographical Education, Australian Geography Teachers' Association. (invited)
(2000 - )
- Advisory Board member and referee of International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education. (invited) (1992 - )
Commission member of "Cartography and Children", International Cartographic Association. (nominated)
(1999 - )
- Working Group Member in "Children and Cartography" affiliated to International Cartographic Association, Australia and Asia Regional representative. (nominated) (1995 - 1999)
- Editor of Geographical Education, Australian Geography Teachers' Association. (applied) (1995 - 1999)
- Member of Royal Geographical Society of Queensland. (applied) (1993 - )
Administrative DutiesProgramme Level
- Ex-officio members (in the capacity of Partnership Director) of PGDE Programme Committee and B.Ed. Programme Committee. (2007 - )
- PGDE Programme Director. (appointed) (2005 - 2007)
- PGDE Deputy Programme Director. (appointed) (2004 - 2005)
- M.Ed. Course Co-ordinator. (Environmental Education) (appointed) (2002 - 2004 )
- Chairperson, PGDE Programme Committee. (2005 - 2007 )
- PCEd / PGDE Programme Committee (first as representative of HoD for PASSE (Jan 2002- August 2003), then as elected member (September 2003 - April 2004), then as Deputy Programme Director (May 2004 - April 2005), then as Programme Director to chair the Committee (May 2005 - April 2007), then as Partnership Director (May 2007 - date) (2002 - ).
- Working Group on Curriculum Restructuring. (invited) (2002 - 2004)
- PGDE Geographical Education Co-ordinator. (appointed) (2001 - )
- M.Ed. Course Co-ordinator. (Social Science Education) (1999 - 2003)(appointed).
- Member of PCEd Management Committee. (ex-officio) (1998 - 2001 )
- PCEd (PT) Course Director. (appointed) (1998 - 2001 )
- INSTEP Advisory Committee. (ex-officio as Partnership Director) (2008 - )
- School-University Partnership Advisory Committee. (ex-officio as Partnership Director) [2007 (Sept) - ]
- School-University Partnership Management Committee. (ex-officio as Partnership Director) [2007 (Sept) - ]
- Partnership Director. (School-University Partnership) (Appointed) (2005 (May) - )
- Member of Faculty Learning and Teaching Committee and Member of Faculty Teaching Quality Committee. (ex-officio as programme director and partnership director) (2005 - )
- Committee for the Selection and Academic Retitling of Assistant Professors. (elected) (2004 - 2006)
- Member of Faculty Learning and Teaching Committee. (elected) (2004 - 2006)
- Member of Teaching Quality Committee. (elected) (2001 - 2003)
- Ad-hoc Working Party on Articulation. (invited) (2001 - 2002)
- Member of Faculty Review. (nominated) (2000 - 2003)
- Member of Speech and Hearing Sciences Committee. (elected) (1999 - 2003)
- Member of Faculty Sabbatical Leave Committee. (elected) (1998 - 2002)
- Member of the Board of Studies for BA&BED Programme. (representing Dean of the Faculty of Education) [2008 (March - July) ]
Planning Group of the second University Retreat on the 4-Year Undergraduate Curriculum Reform.
[2007 (March - June) ]
- Sub-Committee Member of 'Staff Engagement and Staff Development', under 4-year Undergraduate Curriculum Reform. (since Sept 2006)
- Green Manager. (representing Faculty of Education, nominated) (2003 - )
- Departmental Resource Person to offer advice and support to students / colleagues on enquiries / complaints about sexual harassment. (volunteer) (2001 - 2002)
The HKU Scholars Hub
Tel: (852) 2859 2792
Room 213 Runme Shaw Building, The University of Hong Kong