Ms. Lo, Margaret M.
Personal ParticularsMA TESOL; RSA/UCLES Dip TEFL; BMusic
Division of English Language Education
Runme Shaw, Room 209
Faculty of Education
University of Hong Kong
Pokfulam, Hong Kong SAR China
Tel: (852)2857 8608
Fax: (852)2858 5649
- Literacy education, new literacies, multiliteracies
- English language teaching methodology, primary and secondary
- Phonetics, phonology and the teaching of pronunciation
- New literacies in English language education; critical literacies and critical pedagogy, critical language awareness/critical phonological awareness; multimodality in popular culture texts; English language teacher education; English language education to young learners
- In progress. New Literacies in English Language Education in Hong Kong Primary Schools: Enacting Policies, Negotiating Discourses, PhD Dissertation, Faculty of Education, University of Hong Kong
- 2008-11 Acting Principal Investigator, Promoting New Literacies in Hong Kong Schools. Quality Education Fund project. PI, Dr Matthew Clarke. Budget: HK$ 4,290,000.
- 2009-10 Co-investigator, Evaluation Study on the Implementation of the Revised English Language Curriculum at Primary Level, Education Bureau, PI, Anthony KK Tong, HK$1.2m
- 2006-08 Co-investigator/English subject specialist, Parallel Lessons- Exchange between Hong Kong and Mainland teachers. Quality English Fund project. PI, Dr Ng Ho Ming, Centre for Educational Leadership
- 2003-05 Co-investigator, The Study of Good Practices in English Language Teaching. EMB consultancy project. PIs, Prof Amy B. Tsui and Dr. Anthony K. K. Tong.
- 2003-04 Co-investigator, Feedback and Interaction in Teaching Practice Supervision, supported by Faculty of Education, Faculty Research Fund, University of Hong Kong. PI, Dr Fiona Hyland.
Awards and Honours
- Distinguished Teacher Award, 2008-2009; Faculty of Education
Contribution to the Division, the Faculty, the UniversityCourse Coordinator, 2012 BABEd (English) programme
Curriculum Convenor, BEd English (primary) programme
Coordinator of the PGDE Overseas English Immersion Programme
- Lo, M. M. (forthcoming) Negotiating task, text and new literacies in online comic strips. In Benson, P. & Chik, A.; Popular Culture, Pedagogy and Teacher Education: International Perspectives. New York and London: Routledge.
- Lo, M., & Clarke, M. (2009). Practicing or preaching? Teacher educators and student teachers appropriating new literacies. In D. Pullen & D. Cole (Eds.), Multiliteracies and technology enhanced education: Social practice and the global classroom, pp.146-177, Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Hyland, F. and Lo, M. (2006) Examining interaction in the teaching practicum: Issues of language, power and control. Mentoring and Tutoring. 14/2:162-186.
Reports and other publications
- Lo, M. M., Clarke, M., Luk, J. C., Chigaeva, S. & Lam, J. (2012). Promoting New Literacies in Hong Kong Schools. Hong Kong: Quality Education Fund
- Tong, A. K. K., Harfitt, G., Lo, M., & Nicholson, S. (2011). An evaluation study of the Revised English Language Curriculum, Primary 1-6: Project report. Hong Kong SAR: Education Bureau.
- Lo, M. (2004) Case Study Report on School 426. in Tsui, A.B.M. & Tong, A.K.K. The Study of Good Practices in Secondary Schools for Enhancing Students' English Language Proficiency, Education and Manpower Bureau, Hong Kong.
- Primary students’ online comics: Negotiating task, text and new literacies. 2nd International Conference on Popular Culture and Education, Hong Kong Institute of Education, 7- 9 Dec 2011
- Appropriating new literacies in English language education in Hong Kong primary schools. 16th World Congress of Applied Linguistics (AILA); Beijing, China, 23-28 August 2011
- The use of mitigation in post-lesson supervisory conferences and its impact on ESL student teachers, with Fiona Hyland, 16th World Congress of Applied Linguistics (AILA); Beijing, China, 23-28 August 2011
- Negotiating new literacies in the English language curriculum, Seventh International Conference on Language Teacher Education, CARLA, University of Minnesota, USA. 19-21 May 2011, 2011
- Planning for new literacies-infused ESL/EFL teaching and learning in primary schools, 8th Asia TEFL International Conference, Hanoi, Vietnam, 6-8 August 2010 , 2010
- The Hong Kong New Literacies Project: Enhancing English language education for the 21st century with Matthew Clarke, Jasmine Luk and Svetlana Chigaeva. The 1st International Conference on Popular Culture and Education in Asia, The Hong Kong Institute of Education. 11-13 Dec 2008
- 'Critical phonological awareness’. Paper presented in a colloquium, Critical language awareness: Multiple skills, texts, and contexts, with Matthew Clarke and Tess Hogue. 9th International Conference, Association for Language Awareness. Faculty of Education, University of Hong Kong. 25-29 Jun 2008
- Multiliteracies in Teaching English to Young Learners. Invited paper presentation, IATEFL SIG Young Learners Conference; The British Council, Hong Kong; 26 November 2007
- Throwing teaching into sharp relief: parallel lessons as a model for teacher reflection and learning. 5th ASIA TEFL Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; June 2007
- Lo, M. (2001) Dramatizing Stories. Teachers Guide, Penguin Young Readers. Pearson Education Limited.
- Lo, M. (2003) Halloween. Penguin Young Readers; Pearson Education Limited.
- Lo, M. (2001) Colors. Penguin Young Readers; Pearson Education Limited
- Lo, M. (2001) My Home. Penguin Young Readers; Pearson Education Limited.
Professional/ Community Services
- Consultant, Evaluation of ‘The Newfangled Orbit of Electronic Learning – Developing a Conjoint Network of Information Literacy’; PLK Chee Jing Yin Primary School; PI, Prof Nancy Law, Centre for Information and Technology in Education (CITE), Faculty of Education. Sept 2011-14
- Consultancy and professional development for Hong Kong primary and secondary schools
- External Assessor for University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (UCLES) Certificate in English Language Teaching to Young Learners (CELTYL), YL Extension to CELTA, 2001-2010