Prof. Postiglione, Gerard A.
Gerard A. Postiglione
Chair Professor, Sociology and Educational Policy
Director, Wah Ching Centre of Research on Education in China
Faculty of Education
The University of Hong Kong
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone / Fax : (852) 2859 2526
Address : Faculty of Education
The University of Hong Kong
Gerard A. Postiglione is Professor, Chair of Sociology and Education Policy and Director of the Wah Ching Center of Research on Education in China of the University of Hong Kong.
His scholarship focuses on reform and development in China and East Asia. His research and policy expertise includes:
- Access to higher education for low-income and minority students
- The transition from university to the workplace
- Community college models
- The changing academic profession
- Establishing new research universities
- Cross-border university partnerships
- Knowledge networks and academic productivity
He has published over 100 journal articles and book chapters, and 12 books. His books include: Asian Higher Education, East Asia at School, Education and Social Change in China, China’s National Minority Education, and Crossing Borders in East Asian Higher Education. He is also editor of the journal, Chinese Education and Society, and three book series about China.
He was a researcher/consultant for projects of the Asian Development Bank, Department for International Development, Institute of International Education, Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development, United Nations Development Programme, World Bank, and other international development agencies.
He has advised international foundations, including the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching on the academic profession, and as senior consultant at the Ford Foundation/Beijing for one year to establish a grants framework for educational reform and cultural vitality. He has done work for NGOs including Save the Children and the Clinton Global Initiative.
He has been brought to 20 countries to speak on educational reform topics. He appears on CNN, and is quoted in publications such as New York Times, International Herald Tribune, BusinessWeek and Newsweek, and writes for Hong Kong’s English and Chinese language press.
He held sabbatical appointments at the Council on East Asian Studies at Yale University, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, Columbia University Institute for East Asian Studies, Stanford University School of Education, George Washington University Graduate School of Education and Human Development, and Boston College Center for International Higher Education.
- Gerard A. Postiglione (2013): Anchoring globalization in Hong Kong's research universities: network agents, institutional arrangements, and brain circulation. Studies in Higher Education, Volume 38, Number 3, April 2013, pp. 345-366.
- Philip G. Altbach and Gerard A. Postiglione (2012): Hong Kong's Academic Advantage. Peking University Education Review, October 2012.
- Gerard A. Postiglione and Stephen Banta (2012): Improving Transitions From School to University to Workplace. Higher Education in Dynamic Asia Asian Development Bank, June 2012.
- Gerard A. Postiglione (2011): Higher education - University challenge. China Economic Quarterly, May 2011, pp. 22-25.
- Gerard A. Postiglione (2011): The Rise of Research Universities: The Case of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and the Role of the Overseas Chinese Academic Profession. Published in Philip Altbach and Jamil Salmi, The Road to Academic Excellence: The Making of World Class Research Universities Washington D.C. The World Bank, 2011.
- Gerard A. Postiglione (2011): Global recession and higher education in eastern Asia: China, Mongolia and Vietnam. Higher Education The International Journal of Higher Education Research, ISSN 0018-1560, Volume 62, Number 6. High Educ (2011) 62:789-814, DOI 10.1007/s10734-011-9420-4.